Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got on schoolie Mahi today when looking for Spanish a few miles off the ebach. We got a couple but couldn't get many to eat. What's the trick? We were rigged for Spanish with pomp jigs, gotchas, and similar. I was wishing I had a few mingo size chicken rigs and squid. Suggestions?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I've struggled too. The best we could do is throw some cut bait Chumm and follow it up with a small piece on a circle hook into the slick. Sometime they don't eat

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cut bait cigs, squid shrimps start throwing $hit at them !! If they start eating you should be in luck mirrodean lure works too! I’ve been lucky and got 2 this year one trolling a plug and one free line when I was chumming with ladyfish cigs and squid hope this helps

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Usually, cutbait on a small hook with light line and no weight will do the trick. Don't forget to leave one mahi hooked and in the water - keeps the school close. When they get picky, I've had luck with finger mullet. Sometimes slightly larger mahi can be caught by casting out away from the visible school with any live bait you may have.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
A small hook with cut squid usually works well. Sometimes small shiny, flashy lures like Gotcha lures or similar. Sometimes small colorful lures with chartreuse or hot pink accents. You never know.... just start throwing everything until you find what they like.

Also, as said before leave one in the water! When you get one to the boat, keep it in the water until you have another hooked up. For some reason, that seems to keep the school close.

·
Banned
161 Posts
How far away from the debris do you guys stay? Came across my first mahi school under a fertilizer bag, and we tried to keep about 10 yards away, but the outgoing tide pushed us next to the bag and the school disappeared. That was a bummer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts