Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tuna Man (12/22/2009)Made from scrap..well done. Paint them and install. They will last a few years. While in that time frame collect some more scrap. You have the equipment to make more and I'd venture to say you have about a hour in them. In some spare time make your "T's, put them up for later use. Or make a complete set when you find the material.

Thanks for the comments Tuna man... Yeah they will outlast my 1979 rusted ass trailer lol. I like your advice, you think like me :) I never throw scrap wood or metal away. I can either burn the wood or build something and metal always finds a use. And you are right on target, about an hour maybe a little more with the welding and cutting. My chop saw blade is about shot.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Choppedliver...I think like you because I'm like you. I HATE to discard any metal or wood materialthat can be used for a project. Thats why my garage/shop looks like crap. My son came home to roost for 9 months, he saw my garage and wanted to clean it up for me, and my wife said something. I broke down and we got out there discarding things. I had a bike rack that would fit on my 5th wheel. I had no intension's of riding (peddling) a bike again although I had 3 in the garage. No sooner then they went to the dump, we decided to make these.....

Just for information, parts not counting labor we have $250.00+- in it, and the bike is new. This one is for a friend, mine was made from guess what.....one of the bikes I had out in the garage for years...$150.00 in mine.

Now I'd take this with me when we hit the road, BUT guess where the rack is...:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead ...yup the dump:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Like the beachbum said; Weld caps on the open ends of the square/round tube. Just seal em up. Sand blast the units, clean good and paint with a brush on primer. You're welcome to borrow my small sand blaster and I think I've got a bag of sand blast media you can have as well, you'll need an air compressor. Nice job on an inexpensive trailer tweak!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just thinking out loud here but how about taking a can of great stuff and filling the inside of the pipe / tubing and wire brush the outside to get to clean metal and put that plastic / rubber thick coating on them. drill a hole and put a couple of small zinc's in them?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
bwendel07 (12/22/2009)Just thinking out loud here but how about taking a can of great stuff and filling the inside of the pipe / tubing and wire brush the outside to get to clean metal and put that plastic / rubber thick coating on them. drill a hole and put a couple of small zinc's in them?

Any thoughts?
Like mentioned earlier, the material is thick enough (1/8") that it will most likely last as long or longer then his trailer. I wouldn't do much besides brush, prime, and paint the outside....besides think how it's going to look up against a ole rusty trailer:doh

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tuna Man (12/22/2009)Choppedliver...I think like you because I'm like you. I HATE to discard any metal or wood materialthat can be used for a project. Thats why my garage/shop looks like crap. My son came home to roost for 9 months, he saw my garage and wanted to clean it up for me, and my wife said something. I broke down and we got out there discarding things. I had a bike rack that would fit on my 5th wheel. I had no intension's of riding (peddling) a bike again although I had 3 in the garage. No sooner then they went to the dump, we decided to make these.....

Just for information, parts not counting labor we have $250.00+- in it, and the bike is new. This one is for a friend, mine was made from guess what.....one of the bikes I had out in the garage for years...$150.00 in mine.

Now I'd take this with me when we hit the road, BUT guess where the rack is...:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead ...yup the dump:banghead:banghead

Man that bike is awesome. I know what you mean about throwing stuff out. Usually about the time I throw it out, a few days later I find a need for them.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
bwendel07 (12/22/2009)Just thinking out loud here but how about taking a can of great stuff and filling the inside of the pipe / tubing and wire brush the outside to get to clean metal and put that plastic / rubber thick coating on them. drill a hole and put a couple of small zinc's in them?

Any thoughts?

Im thinking about just welding them shut. I dont think too much rusting is going to take place if I cap them off. Only so much oxygen and moisture in there. And like tuna man said they will probably outlast my trailer. I'm gonna prime em, paint em, and be done with it.

79 Posts
man you are always making something , if you keep this up one day you are going to invent something thats gonna make you a millionaire. good luck and keep on welding. keep posting your inventions i like the way you think.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
fishing with carl childers (2/8/2010)man you are always making something , if you keep this up one day you are going to invent something thats gonna make you a millionaire. good luck and keep on welding. keep posting your inventions i like the way you think.

Thanks bud, you should see what I have floating in my pool! It's my latest invention but I can't let it out of the bag yet. I have about 20 more inventions on my list. I literally dream crap up while Im sleeping.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
kahala boy (2/8/2010)Couldn't you powder coat them?

Could but probably not cost effective. I think they are going to get a can of rustoleum and be done with it. lo. Don't care if they rust, they will last a few years. Right now they are still in my garage.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I finally got around to it. I ground the rust off these suckers. The Upper tubing ( round ) is galvanized. The lower ( square is not). So the upper is really not of much concern.

On the bottom, I sprayed rustoleum industrial enamel down the tubing. I was pleasanly surprised at how far I was able to coat the inside. I am pretty sure it reached all the way to where the galvanized joins the regular steel.

For the vertical part, I wasnt as worried about rust from salt water accumulation, since it is vertical and will drain out. Now it is coated, so it should slow down , and I always rinse with freshwater.

On the horizontal part of the "L" , I took some 316 stainless steel plate I had laying around left over from building flounder gigs, and I sealed that sucker completely off. Just welded it shut.

I put 5/16" holes in each cross member and will be drilling same size hole in my trailer frame.

I topped the whole thing off with 4 coats of the same semigloss black rustoleum industrial enamel.

My pvc guideons with the LED lights will be covering the tubing. The wiring will run down the square tube.

Here is a picture so far

Remember this is an old boat, with an old trailer, which is half rusted already. These guideons will most likely last much longer than my trailer, and all they cost me was some welding supplies , some rustoleum, and about $2 in galvanized bolts. I already had the metal laying around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grind as most of the rust off them as you can, primer them, then put the truck bed liner paint on. When they rust out build some new ones, and just keep your eyes on scrap aluminum laying around here and there. If something doesn't look good about just do it again until its good for you.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have sprayed hundreds of gallons of industrial enamel... We baked it at 175-200 degrees for an hour or 3. It really made it much more durable. It adhered much better as it flowed into the fine grooves we don't see with the naked eye...

Good luck with your new guide-ons!
Brent

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you look around you can find the rubberized coating that is made for dipping the handles of tools in for about $12. Wal-mart,hardware stores, and even Advance Auto sells it I think. I would just pour it through a couple of times or give it a bath. good rubber coating may help it last especially inside the tubes.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts