Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I hunt those things relentlessly and cannot find anything near the caliber fish you catch on a consistent basis.
I guess I just suck at it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hunt those things relentlessly and cannot find anything near the caliber fish you catch on a consistent basis.
I guess I just suck at it.
There’s a reason they are known as THE trophy fish inshore in our area ;) I’ll post up some info soon on some of the things I look for. I really do things different than most, and some of the small details make the biggest difference. Figuring out some patterns throughout the year has made them easy to find, but not always easy to catch, and that’s where those details come in handy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
About 6 months ago, I took a big step and decided to paint lures full time. It all started to click all of a sudden, and was able to take my patterns to the next level. Invested quite a bit in my setups to be able to produce nice paint jobs quickly, and it has paid off. Was told there is no money in it, but I would argue that’s not the case if you put your time in and strive for perfection. They aren’t cheap, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Most of the stuff I paint now are natural patterns, stuff I would use day in day out to match the baitfish in our waters, but have also done stuff for guys in every state on the Gulf and the Atlantic coasts that have Speckled Trout and Redfish. Some of those patterns are different, but all have worked great for the user. Some of these might look very similar to the older pictures, but figuring out how to layer in the detail has really brought them to life. Heres a few pics of some of my work, hope you enjoy the pics:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Those look amazing Jeff, I watch a guy on YouTube, Marling Baits, he makes and paints his own plugs and soft plastics, makes some great stuff, your paint looks better. Do you have a website or a place where one might buy some?

Reactions: JeffBfishing

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Those look amazing Jeff, I watch a guy on YouTube, Marling Baits, he makes and paints his own plugs and soft plastics, makes some great stuff, your paint looks better. Do you have a website or a place where one might buy some?
He really does some amazing work, but with those one day builds, it seems like it would make it hard to spend the time needed on the paint jobs, although I think his are pretty impressive with the way he just runs through them and makes it up as he goes along. Usually takes me a few tries to get a new pattern where I want it to be. Dudes got some serious skills with the carving knife!
I really appreciate the compliment, it’s been a lot of work and always evolving with new effects and paints. I don’t have a website set up yet, working on that. Lots of bases to cover with domains and just setting up the layouts and stuff. Been selling on my FB page, and it’s been keeping me extremely busy.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
He really does some amazing work, but with those one day builds, it seems like it would make it hard to spend the time needed on the paint jobs, although I think his are pretty impressive with the way he just runs through them and makes it up as he goes along. Usually takes me a few tries to get a new pattern where I want it to be. Dudes got some serious skills with the carving knife!
I really appreciate the compliment, it’s been a lot of work and always evolving with new effects and paints. I don’t have a website set up yet, working on that. Lots of bases to cover with domains and just setting up the layouts and stuff. Been selling on my FB page, and it’s been keeping me extremely busy.
Just curious, have you tried carving baits, I've been tempted to try, but haven't done it yet, plus I would have to get an airbrush setup and I have more hobbies than I can handle now, that's probably on the back burner for a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just curious, have you tried carving baits, I've been tempted to try, but haven't done it yet, plus I would have to get an airbrush setup and I have more hobbies than I can handle now, that's probably on the back burner for a while.
I have messed around with carving a little. I have an idea for a twitchbait that I’m working on, but it’s quite a process to get everything dialed in. Body shape, amount of weight/ballast, positioning of weight, line tie location…a lot of testing involved to get it right. I mainly used my Dremel with a sanding drum to shape it instead of carving though and it’s worked well. Getting all the equipment is the biggest step, and it’s definitely not cheap. Band saw, belt/disc sander, drill bits, lead pouring equipment are some of the things that the pros use so there’s some substantial cost involved. Then add on paint equipment costs and it goes up and up. I have around $700 investment in my painting setup and paint, and could honestly spend a few hundred more to add more colors and paint types. Then add on terminal tackle cost and clear coat, and the investment is substantial for something that seems so simple. I’m glad I started out as just a hobby painting for myself, so a lot of that cost didn’t make as much difference to me, although I’ve more than broke even on all of that.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If there one thing I’ve learned is all you really need is…super glue and baking soda, I’m looking forward to seeing more baits, keep them coming

• Haha

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If there one thing I’ve learned is all you really need is…super glue and baking soda, I’m looking forward to seeing more baits, keep them coming
Very true, it does work great! Thank you, working on a few new patterns, so there will be more to come.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I think that's fantastic Jeff. What's your FB page? I am not on FB but my wife is, I will get her to save it or tag it or whatever so I can check it out! Awesome work, man!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
As everyone else has said, your work looks fantastic. Last year you said you were experimenting with the croaker patterned baits. How did that turn out this year? Please give us a link to support your efforts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think that's fantastic Jeff. What's your FB page? I am not on FB but my wife is, I will get her to save it or tag it or whatever so I can check it out! Awesome work, man!
Thanks Sam, my health was declining for a while(nothing to serious)so I knew I had to do something besides construction work. It all just fell into place and is a nice change of pace.
My FB is just my personal page now(Jeff Brown) and have been doing everything on there for now. I’m working on getting the business page set up but haven’t published it yet. Will post a link as soon as it’s ready.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
As everyone else has said, your work looks fantastic. Last year you said you were experimenting with the croaker patterned baits. How did that turn out this year? Please give us a link to support your efforts.
Thank you sir. I’ll get the link posted in the next day or so when the business page goes public.
Croaker pattern has been the top seller for sure. Redfish and trout love it, and a buddy even caught a tarpon on one recently. Have 2 croaker patterns and they both work as intended.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts