Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What colors lures do you guys use most inshore for trout and reds? Do you try to mimic the bait fish in the area or throw bright/off the wall colors? Just trying to get some ideas going for some paints, and my creativity sucks :cautious:

I fish extremely clear conditions for the most part, so natural colors have been the deal. Green has always topped the list, but blue and bone both work well. I mainly try to mimic mullet, but a croaker pattern is next on the list. This is not an add and I’m not trying to sell baits or paint jobs, just a hobby. Here’s a couple of my patterns and a few fish caught on them.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
Incredible colors and awesome fish.

Reactions: JeffBfishing

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That is a great Ayu color scheme you have going, and one of my favorite colors to fish with. I do prefer natural color more so than anything. If you decide to start selling some let me know!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,502 Posts
For soft plastics I prefer a root beer jig. Clear to slightly dirty water. Almost always at early or late light.

No preference, but I almost always use a red jig head. Just what i grew up using.

I've ALWAYS heard about red head/white body mirrolures. I have tried and tried with them both topwater and mid-level lures. Never had any luck.

Jim

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have way better luck with more natural colors as opposed to flashy ones and the colors that work for me are usually greens, blues, bone, and Pearl personally. Im always looking for lures essentially the exact way you seem to have been painting them tbh. One negative color ive found is around the greater pensacola area I find that red color in lures never does me any favors inshore fishing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a great Ayu color scheme you have going, and one of my favorite colors to fish with. I do prefer natural color more so than anything. If you decide to start selling some let me know!
Thanks, Ayu is definitely a deadly color, and that pattern has been sightfish approved ;) Good to know on the patterns. If I do start painting more I’ll let you know. Those scale jobs take some time, and free time has been hard to come by.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know you're doing something right when a black drum eats your jerk bait.

I always try and throw something with a bit of gold in it.
:LOL: That was definitely a surprise. Thanks for the feedback, think you are on to something there. Been noticing lots of gold on our mullet lately.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For soft plastics I prefer a root beer jig. Clear to slightly dirty water. Almost always at early or late light.

No preference, but I almost always use a red jig head. Just what i grew up using.

I've ALWAYS heard about red head/white body mirrolures. I have tried and tried with them both topwater and mid-level lures. Never had any luck.

Jim
Thank you Jim, you have given me some ideas. I know a lot of people like the red head/white body, but I’m in the same boat and haven’t had any luck with it. I think a version with a little more detail would look cool though, definitely something to mess around with. Maybe some kind of rootbeer/chartreuse paint job, that one will take some thought. I appreciate the inspiration, helps a lot!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think your answer ( and proof ) is in your pictures !! Don't fix something not broke !
Lol, No doubt. I love to paint a color and then take it out and sightfish with it and see how the big trout react(they are the most picky so what better test). Sometimes just a small tweak in color can make the difference. Those colors have been perfected and won’t change, but always room for more!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have way better luck with more natural colors as opposed to flashy ones and the colors that work for me are usually greens, blues, bone, and Pearl personally. Im always looking for lures essentially the exact way you seem to have been painting them tbh. One negative color ive found is around the greater pensacola area I find that red color in lures never does me any favors inshore fishing.
Good to know, seems those have become the popular colors. Surprised no one mentioned purple. Appreciate the feedback. Been staying away from red as well. I’ve see the red head/white body work, but never had luck with it.

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Your lures/color scheme are spot on and proven which is even better.....Maybe a red gill pen stripe...? That and maybe some sparkles mixed in the clear coat just because you can,lol.....Awesome paint jobs....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good to know, seems those have become the popular colors. Surprised no one mentioned purple. Appreciate the feedback. Been staying away from red as well. I’ve see the red head/white body work, but never had luck with it.
Ive also seen the red white work for people but i feel like it's conditional and where i fish its definitely the wrong pattern...ive seen my brother in law have luck with purple,but to,be quite honest i havent tried it personally....i find mixing in the gold really helps if im targeting reds but I havent really had luck with gold on the bigger specs and as you mentioned they are the pickiest (i fish for on the regular at least)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your lures/color scheme are spot on and proven which is even better.....Maybe a red gill pen stripe...? That and maybe some sparkles mixed in the clear coat just because you can,lol.....Awesome paint jobs....
Thanks! It’s hard to get it in the pics, but I used a lot of Pearl colors on these baits(pearl Gold, Pearl Blue, Pearl Lime Green, Pearl White) so they definitely have some sparkle. A little glitter would be nice addition though. I definitely need to practice with some details on those gills!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive also seen the red white work for people but i feel like it's conditional and where i fish its definitely the wrong pattern...ive seen my brother in law have luck with purple,but to,be quite honest i havent tried it personally....i find mixing in the gold really helps if im targeting reds but I havent really had luck with gold on the bigger specs and as you mentioned they are the pickiest (i fish for on the regular at least)
I agree on the red/white, it’s been around so long that someone has to be crushing with it though :LOL: Purple is a winter color for me. We tested it years back against green, black and blue and it wasn’t even close, like 10:1 in favor of purple. Gotta be a bait fish thing at that time of year.
Adding gold into my Ayu pattern seemed to be one of those small changes that made a huge difference. Traditional bright gold I can agree isn’t the best for trout, but adding a light coat of gold to give a little shine at certain angles was the deal. Mullet on the sand definitely have lots of gold on their shoulders. These mullet came from different areas. One has the brown back, one is green, but both have that gold.
Appreciate the replies!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of purple, just finished this one. Been wanting to try a Croaker pattern for a while since we all know Trout and Reds love their Croakers.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts