Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and thank you to all who respond in advance. I will be heading down to Orange Beach from PA the last 2 weeks of September. I’m an avid freshwater fisherman and I have fished the gulf several times when visiting my family in Gulfshores. I will be mainly fishing from the surf and I was planning on bringing 2 8 ft medium heavy rod 3-5 ounce/shimano Calcutta 400b for the reels. I am also bringing a few medium heavy 7ft spinning rods paired with shimano baitrunners. I’ve caught blues, ladyfish, cats, Spanish mackerel all from the surf mostly throwing spoons, frozen shrimp, and cut bait. I have a extensive tackle collection and I was wondering what lures I should bring down with me I have loads of Jerk baits, spinner baits, topwater, jigs, swimbaits, large Musky plugs (6-12in.), crankbaits. Being an amateur saltwater angler I’m really unsure what baits to throw and when so I appreciate any help I can get. I also plan on buying a surf combo while I’m down there just hard to find much locally in PA. Thank you all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're mainly surf fishing, you can bring any big topwater baits or poppers. It's super fun to cast into the surf and pop it back in w/ your retrieve. Don't forget the steel leader, those blues and toothy ones w/ steal your lures. I'd also check out the Bass Pro Offshore Topwater Popper in 5.5" or 6.5", Roberts Lures, the "bounder" and a big gold or silver spoon. We mainly use these for early morning bite, and the action is usually good. Also don't overlook hitting the inshore areas w/ the same lures. Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts