Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys-
Its a tough time out there right now for all of us, but let me share my story.

On Monday I was lucky enough to have the privilege of taking my family and a friend out onto the water for Choctawhatchee bay for the day, four kids and my wife. Unfortunately it was cut short because of the criminals that live amongst us. We put my 25 Proline Walkaround into the water Cenesa Landing (Hogtown Bayou) and made our way into the bay. As we entered into deeper water I pushed the handle down, got the boat on plan and up to speed around 35+ mph. What happened next I will never forget... The motor bogged for a second or two, I turned my head back and watched as the 225hp outboard jumped off the transom and did three cart-wheels (WOT) and drove under the boat and shut down. The boat turned hard right nearly throwing us from the boat and came to a hard rest. Freaking out at what had happened we quickly realized how lucky we were that the motor did not enter the cockpit. A major disaster had occurred and it could have been catastrophic. After nearly six hours of raising the motor and towing it back to Legendary Marine ($1,200) we realized that some SOB's had attempted to steal the outboard off the boat(while stored) before giving up for some reason. They had removed three of the four mounting nuts leaving one intact, this one nut/bolt allowed us to get as far as we did. We are very thankful that no one was injured or killed. I always do a through check of the boat before putting her in the water, but never would have thought this would happen. My bad for not checking the bolts......I guess.

Please check your mount before heading out....

Remember that bad people are out there.....I'm sorry to say that, but its the truth.

My insurance company and has totaled the motor and will repair the boat damage. If anyone has a good 225hp 2 stroke they want to part with, let me know. Be careful out there... the tides have changed! So much for snapper season.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
ChipPerschino, hate the event that happened, but it is a great Memorial Day! Glad to hear it's all replaceable. Sometimes we take for granted the simplest of things, a nice enjoyable boat ride, or everyday things. "Good Livin", is "Good Karma"! Hate Damn thieves!

Skip

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Glad to hear all of you made it back safe. As for the culprit, they'll face their maker one day and it won't be funny to them on that day. You guys couldv'e really been hurt on that trip. Another pre trip check to add to the list for me! Thanks for the post and God Bless!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Guess I need to add inspect for vandalism and attempted theft to my pre-launch checklist. Sorry ass pieces of s#$t! Glad to hear no one was injured.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This happened while your boat was stored in Legendary Marine.....?

That's scary !! I would think that they would have a decent security systemin Legendary Marine.....or a guard on duty after hours.......but I guess not.

Glad that no one was hurt.

Almost sounds like sabotage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This happened off of 30A in Blue Mountain Beach (Santa Rosa Beach). Legendary has been nothing but FIRST CLASS!! I need to thank them for their professionalism. I learned a lesson that you get what you pay for with storage, in the future I will make better choices.

This whole thing is crazy, The wife and I keep talking about how everything happened and how things occurred. Every day we are more thankful than the previous. Just crazy and very grateful. The vision of a 400-500lb outboard doing cart wheels at wide 5,000 rpms while attached to the boat is nutz.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. Property can be replaced, lives cannot!

On a similar, but not nearly so serious note, I picked up my boat from the shop before a major trip across the state one afternoon, loaded the boat and took off the next AM. While exiting the interstate, one of the wheels from my duel axle trailer passed me as I slowed down the ramp to the stop sign. Thankfully, it hit nothing and came to rest in teh median. All five lugs had been sheered. I suspect someone had tried to steal the tire while at the shop qand loosened all the lugs. The trip home on local roads where it was locked behind a fence before I left the next morning was not enough to cause the failures, but the travel on the interstate and torque of the exit turn caused the failures.

Now I check my lugs every time I trailer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts