Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new Lowrance Hook (4x) and I'm pretty hyped to get it mounted on my yak.. Do any of you run this finder and if so any tips on the best way to mount it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just picked up my new Lowrance Hook (4x) and I'm pretty hyped to get it mounted on my yak.. Do any of you run this finder and if so any tips on the best way to mount it.
I don't know about "best" and I'm sure much depends on your kayak and your preferences...But MY limited experience with that locator on my kayak (35 days in the Keys this winter fishing saltwater every day) indicated to me that it's a really good idea to goober up the connectors with dialectric grease.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, dielectric grease is a must, just use it from the get go.

I went with an in hull mount and really cant imagine why you would use another method if this is your regular kayak. The install is easy, you just silicone it to the bottom and glue some foam around it for protection. I got rubber grommets for holes where the cords exit the yak, and the battery is in a dry box in my cargo hatch.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, dielectric grease is a must, just use it from the get go.

I went with an in hull mount and really cant imagine why you would use another method if this is your regular kayak. The install is easy, you just silicone it to the bottom and glue some foam around it for protection. I got rubber grommets for holes where the cords exit the yak, and the battery is in a dry box in my cargo hatch.

So your transducer is inside your yak and not in the water? Sorry for the dumb question lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, the transducer is inside the kayak. I cut out a foam cradle for it, then put a whole bunch of silicone on the bottom of the yak in that foam cradle, then I nestled the transducer down in it. No problems at all. One trick is to place the silicone sealant applicator tip against the plastic of the yak as you squeeze out silicone, it helps avoid bubbles, and wiggle the transducer as you set it down to help air bubbles escape. It was easier than I thought it would be and now its nice and protected inside the yak.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the transducer is inside the kayak. I cut out a foam cradle for it, then put a whole bunch of silicone on the bottom of the yak in that foam cradle, then I nestled the transducer down in it. No problems at all. One trick is to place the silicone sealant applicator tip against the plastic of the yak as you squeeze out silicone, it helps avoid bubbles, and wiggle the transducer as you set it down to help air bubbles escape. It was easier than I thought it would be and now its nice and protected inside the yak.
cool thanks. I was worried about the image being distorted or something if the transducer wasn't in the water. Sorry for the dumb questions im still a newb at this kayak thing lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok I saw someone else with theirs inside the hull the other day. Never thought about it before but loved the idea as mine is always getting caught on something during loading/loading and beaching...glad others are not having issues...guess I will be moving mine. The guy I spoke to said he just siliconed it to the flattest spot on the inside of his and had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
It really was easier to install the transducer inside the yak thank I expected. The potential problem is a bubble in the silicone. So, put the tip of the silicone tube against the yak as you squeeze and wiggle the transducer to get bubbles out. If you mess up, its a super easy fix, silicone cuts/peels right out and you try again. Drilling holes in the yak for the cords is nerve-wracking, but you just gotta become comfortable with putting holes in the yak for modifications.
I have had no image issues with the in hull mount. I've heard the water temp may take a little time to become accurate with the in hull, but thats it. I even dropped a washer in between the foam cradle and the side of the transducer and couldn't retrieve it and everything works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts