Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bass pro is advertising the lowrance elite 4 hdi 83/200 and 455/800khz for $199 is this a good deal? What should I expect for hidden cost besides a battery?
I've never owned a fish/depth finder before should I start with something like this? I fish both the bay and the ocean and I understand this won't help me find fish in under 5 feet of water unless they are directly below my yak.
I will be installing this in my tarpon 120. Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like your talking about the unit that has the chart plotter. Not a bad deal but you can save $40-50 by purchasing the unit without the chart plotting. They are decent units. Good luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've seen them cheaper (around holidays) but that's still a good deal. I've got the elite 4 with gps/sonar and I like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently installed that same ff/chart plotter on my pa14 and I have no complaints. In my opinion the gps/plotter is a must if fishing the gulf incase the winds blow you off course and finding your way back to where you launched may be difficult.
-Tight lines and best of luck with the hunt for the right fish finder.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I saw the same add, but they did not see one at the bass pro here in destin yesterday, but they do have them on the website. I am planning on ordering one next week if they dont get any in the store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy at bass pro in Destin told me they had them all pulled into the back room till Friday. They do have the same one online currently for $199. Using my basspro MC I can get another 20% off Friday so I'm gonna wait it out. Military gets another 10% and if you wait till the 11th thru 15th you can get triple rewards points and free installation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats good to know, I know I saw it there a few weeks ago, and then they were gone yesterday, thought they were making room for the CHIRP model. I will plan on grabbing one next for the 3x reward points. Did you happen to notice if they sell the 12v sealed battery there as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy working there said they did but I personally did not look for them. I will be shopping around for them this week in hopes of finding a better price.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It sounds like the same deal I got from Gander Mountain - $199 for the Elite 4 HDI, the 83/200 455/800 transducer, the Lake chip (which I have little use for...) and the cover for the display. Unit retails on the Lowrance site for $299, less the chip and cover.

I just replaced a Eagle Cuda B&W FF for the Elite 4 HDI and love it. The choice of either regular sonar or down imaging plus the GPS is great. The color display is easy to read. I would highly recommend it. I think it's a great deal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You should check out West Marines in Pensacola, there closing both stores. You might be able to find some great closeout sales.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just picked one up from bass pro, they still dont have it display, had to ask for it and they pulled it from behind the counter. Now time to enter some numbers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
By the best you can afford.

My first unit was a 100 dollar HB unit, it worked fine for the money, no gps thus I had to use a handheld GPS for bottom fishing and it worked OK. Next was a Lowrance HDI 5 wow what a difference, got it over a year ago and I'm still learning more about what it can do, larger screen size and resolution does make a difference for sure, third unit for a new tandem boat Lowrance Mark 4, GPS/Sonar head, it is no where near what the screen on the HDI 5 is so yes you get what you pay for. I would never suggest credit for any of these unless you can pay it off same month. But I'm one of those weird old farts that lives under my means. Good luck to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts