Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family just picked up a new to us proline 23 sport and I’m upgrading the electronics. I think that I have narrowed it down between the lowrance elite 7 TI2 hdi or the hook2 9 splitshot. I like the features of the elite but like the size of the hook2. Will I miss the features of the elite if I go for the hook2 or vice versa?
I’m also open to suggestions for other models/brands. I’d like to keep it under $600

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're planning on fishing with it, then I'd save some money and buy the biggest/best you can afford. This may mean spending in the range of $2000. The Ti2 isn't bad, but the HDS Live is much better. If you fish the salt, especially offshore in deeper water, you'd be better going with a Simrad NSS model. A 7 inch screen is tiny, especially if you have to split screens for navigation/sonar etc. Minimum I'd go is with a 9 and maybe start there and add another in the near future to maximize viewing. I'd steer away from entry level models like the Hook2 unless you're just using it for basic navigation and for seeing bottom on the way to crab island.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Garmin has been my choice. but you gonna spend big bucks on any decent bottom machine.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Great for a starter, you will be suprised at what you find with the side view. Take it slow when looking, 5 kts or less and fairly calm seas.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great for a starter, you will be suprised at what you find with the side view. Take it slow when looking, 5 kts or less and fairly calm seas.
I'm excited to try out the side view. Never played with one. I'm sure it will take some getting used to

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Don forget to get home port from garmin free. And copy the G3 maps off of the bottom machine onto sd card and use the maps on homeport. All free. And check on updates for the machine software.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts