Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 25hp mercury outboard. i walked out this morning and saw a puddle of oil had leaked from the lower unit. not from the drain or vent, but from behind the prop.

the oil is very dark black and very strong petrolium like smell.

anyone have any tips or ideas on how i should get started?

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,352 Posts
Crack the drain plug to see what seeps out. If it's the same color, you got problems. However, I believe what you are seeing is exhaust sludge. Did you just decarbon the motor? That really loosens up the stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kanka, no i have not done anything to the motor, personally. i had a mechanic clean it up 1.5 years ago but i dont think he did anything to the lower unit.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Its just raw fuel washing the carbon out of the exhaust housing and its dripping out the exhaust. Probably got a carb running rich or flooding.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I repowered alittle over a month ago, the motor I put on has a VRO and the old motor didn't so the gas I had in the tank had the oil put in it from the old motor. Wells Marine told me to just keep running it until I use all that fuel with the oil in it and it would quit leaking the oil like yours is doing. I about freaked out the first time I went out and saw that oil that had dripped down. I hooked up and rushed that sucker down to Will's as fast as I could. It's still doing it because I haven't gotten all that gas out yet but at least I know what it is now. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts