Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO after spending a few months on a borrowed kayak catching Kings off Pensacola Beach I was hooked....and then I went on "deployment" to Africa. Now that I am headed back on Friday I have decided that investing in my own Kayak is the way that I want....nay.....NEED to go!! I have lurked on this forum for a few months and read a lot of the different stuff on the peddle vs paddle and on a bunch of the different kayaks, but I do have one question. I have a bunch of hardware in my back after being wounded in Afghanistan and undergoing a few spine surgeries and I am curious which seat/boat gives the best back support. I am looking to spend 1000-1200$ on a used boat (would rather not buy new) and I am looking to do it soon (this weekend if I find the deal I am looking for!) but I would love to get you input to which will make my back hurt the least after spending hours in it. Thanks so much guys and gals and I look forward to chatting with all of you and I hope I get a chance to fish with some of you as well if you ever need a fishing partner/beer drinking partner/war story telling partner!!

Chris

·
Registered
234 Posts
ive got a bad back and the cuda 14's seat gave me no issues that thing is like a la-z boy of kayak seats. i sat in it for 6 hours and never even had the feeling my back was going to lock up on me

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the heads up!

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
I'm in a Hobie Outback, didn't want to go as big or heavy as a PA. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I'd seriously look at the Native because of the seat. I use 3 layers on my seat and after 5 or 6 hours, my ass is numb. I do envy their seats. Go test drive the native @ Pensacola sail and ski.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They're kind of tough to find used, especially in that price range, but the Hobie PA's with the Vantage seat are pretty darn comfy. They're completely adjustable, including the lumbar support so it's easy to find a comfortable position. My back is not in the best of shape either and I regularly fish in mine for 6 to 9 hrs at a pop with no problems. Plus you can easily stand up and stretch or fish... Good luck finding something!

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies I have been looking for the recommended kayaks online!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You can try to swing a great deal on a peddle yak. I just bought a pescador to learn on. It's great for what it is

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
In your price range I recommend a used Native propel if you want to pedal or a jackson cuda if you don't mind paddling. Try a couple to see how your back feels because depending on your injury peddling may hurt more than paddling or vice versa.

Oscar

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did about 15 trips in a pelican and after about 6 hours my back started to hurt. I don't know that it was the paddling vs the garbage seat. I don't mind paddling at all, I am luck that through all my PT I was able to keep my upper body very strong. I am really looking to get a good bang for my buck and I would rather start right out of the gate with a GOOD kayak instead of feeling like I need to upgrade in a few months.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
SOCMedic, go talk with Bahen at Pensacola Kayak and Sail. Should be able to look at lots of boats and try them out right there. The customer service at Pensacola Kayak and Sail is top notch and I highly recommend them. The Slayer 14 has an awesome seat that has two positions high and low and adjustable back angle.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Ye I forgot about the slayer 14 and the old town predator they both also have nice seats . Please don't rush and buy anything try a couple out. most shops like jason said let you test em at no cost.

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on fishing both in and off shore..

Ok will Do! Ill go and talk to them this weekend when I get home! Thanks for all the help everyone. Also I would love to hook up with some people to go out fishing once I get my new kayak. I have been going in the same spot the last dozen times I have went, and while I have never been skunked, always caught my limit of Kings and some Spanish or ballyhoo, I wouldn't mind a change of scenery! Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the OK Trident 13, wife wants to upgrade to the OT Predator. I've done extensive reading and the biggest complaints about the OT is it is heavier and slower. More stable but if you are offshore fishing I doubt you intend to stand in it. I'm doing all I can to talk her out of it, but she likes river/lake fishing mostly so I'm more likely to talk the cat in to barking :whistling:

For $1200 you can buy a new OK Trident with rudder and everything but a fish finder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts