Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve been seeing lots of hog sign and rooting around the farm fields near my house lately. The fields were planted cotton and peanuts. My hog hunting buddy went out with his thermal a couple nights ago to scout and counted about 43 in the fields. I haven’t hog hunted in at least a couple years but been wanting to go so I charged my external battery pack up for my Nikon and we went last night. I met him in the field around 10 and he had multiple heat signatures around 500 yards away. We began our stalk. Luckily the wind was in our favor as we walked down the tree line next to the field. As we closed the gap, I was able to clearly see them. There were around 30 with many piglets and quite a few larger ones. We came up with our plan and stalked to around 80 yards. We got in posisition and after a quick countdown started to shoot. We ended up with 2. We were hoping for a few more but once the first shot rang, they scattered like the wind. We loaded them up and I called a guy from work and he came out and got them. Exciting night!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nice. I am getting a lot of daytime pics at my place. I may slide out this weekend to see if I can get one. I had at least 3 females pop with piglets in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Looks like a blast! I love to shoot hogs; I'm ashamed... I think I love it more than busting coyote's.

·
Registered
448 Posts
if you have that many, trapping is the only thing that will make a difference or a PFF hog hunt!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hunt east of Hwy 189, north of Baker and west of the Yellow River, just short of the Alabama line. I haven't seen a hog in over a year and a half. With the meat crisis in place, I sure would like to know where they went.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you have that many, trapping is the only thing that will make a difference or a PFF hog hunt!
The neighbor down the road about a mile Traps them regularly. They seem to move around. This is the thickest we’ve seen them in a couple years

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hunt east of Hwy 189, north of Baker and west of the Yellow River, just short of the Alabama line. I haven't seen a hog in over a year and a half. With the meat crisis in place, I sure would like to know where they went.
They move around on us too. I live north of whiting field near cold water creek. Thickest I’ve seen them in a couple years

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have a client who shoots hogs for farmers. He showed me a video of him shooting at night with his auto rifle. I couldn't believe how good a shot he was. Probably 20 in a field and after the first shot he started picking them off one by one running. Definitely a much better shooter than me.

·
Super Moderator
12,564 Posts
In my experience suppressors make a pretty big difference... 300blk subs, shoot the furthest hog from you and the impact of the bullet is the loudest sound... it'll make the sounder run right to you. From there it's calamity. Pretty fun if you have some good shooters. But as was said, shooting them won't make as big a difference as trapping them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
our lease(east texas) is over run with them. i try to shoot em in the head and then just strip the hide from the back strap and hind quarter area. i harvest these meats and put the rest in the dump. every so often i'll keep the heart and jowls. we have a state biologist that tells us what to shoot(deer) every year and he says they are such a problem here that if we don't want the meat or know someone that does, just shoot em and either drag em to the dump or leave em lay. sounds awful i know, but that's how big the problem is here.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I love the taste of wild hog, but man I hate to clean those nasty critters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts