Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, my wife and I run a small inspection company and use side imaging sonar regularly for our work. Unfortunately, the drive is an extremely small target and is likely laying on its side, which means that the only bits which will cast that sonar 'shadow' will be the pedal sticking off of the bottom. Most small bottom debris will probably cast a similarly small sonar 'shadow.' Side scan will detect the drive, but if there are lots of 'targets' on the bottom, then it will be impossible to differentiate the drive from rocks or other small objects (probably worth a shot if anyone wants to run some side scan in that area.

Depending on water clarity and how well the area was marked when the capsizing occurred, dive gear will probably be the best bet. We usually run a search pattern using heavy weights on each end of a length of line (however long you want the search area to be), then swim from one weight to the other following the line. When you reach the end, move the weight over however far forward your visibility allows, then swim back to the other end. Move that end forward, and repeat, thereby covering your search area in a zig-zag pattern.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just curious, how much does something like that cost to use the sonar? I went and bought a new snorkeling setup and fins and hope to make it out again this weekend if the water is good enough. Might be able to get a few to bring scuba equip. if I'm lucky...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
That thing is either in Louisiana or buried in sand after last weeks weather. This week will be just as bad. I have side scan and if u did see it it would be after diving for about 1000 other items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 26 of 26 Posts