Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are dads, step dad, fathers and I'm sure moms too, that have been in my situation. I could use a little advice. He is a good kid, good grades, well mannered and loving. How could this happen?? I keep a good eye on him an spend plenty of time with him. We are best buds. But lately he has been sort of hanging around with a couple of guys--they are much older. I have noticed their influence on him already. The way he talks, the things he wants to do, the places he wants to go. It has not been a big deal so far but I have been on a heightend sensativity level lately. I am watching more closely, and taking it all in. I haven't stepped in and really sai or done anything-- yet. I wad really hoping that it would fade, the "cool guys" would move on or he would tire of it all, but if nothing else, the guys have really taken to micha an even sort of taken him under their wing. It really really scares me.

Then yesterday, the next worst step was taken. I was with micha, just hanging out in the background and he just didn't seem to care. He did his thing, and right in front of me as if to say "dude, this is who I am now". I couldn't do a thing about it. I am afraid that the pull to the troubled side is too strong and the "danger" of being a bad boy is too strong.

I need help here. Do I step in? Do I step back? Is it a phase? Will it pass or am I losing him forever?

It was tough to watch yesterday. He was hanging ou with me one minute and then one of the "cool guys" showed up, and he went off to do his own thing. The next thing I see, he is hanging off the front rail with rod in hand, casting and snoveling with the rest of the cool gang. Now he's talking about a pass, 706s, and three piece grips.

I suppose it's my fault. Afterall I took him there. I introduced him to the Ratz, now he thinks 'uncle chicken bone' is the coolest guy around? Where did I go wrong? What do I do? Help!! Do I just allow him to carry on this way? What am I to do if he starts saving his money for a gatorglass blank? Am I supposed to just say nothing when he comes home with a leader straightener clipped to his van staal visor?!?

I know there is some help ot there-- some sort of support group or phamplet I can read. Help me out will ya,fellas !!

Cheers

drew

palkbpr

(parents against letting kids become pier ratz)

Sent from my iPhone.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
You're screwed.

If you don't nip this in the bud RIGHT NOW, he'll end up working in a tackle shop in a few years, or worse, end up ... just .... like .... GARBO.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sounds like you will have to buy him a boat and some tackle of of the offshore type and encourage him to get a job to support the new habit.

Good Luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to give in......but that is a public place and you go can spyon him.And if you geta custom king rod and 706, he'll probably want a Stall, so you prolly ought to stick with a 302 so he can more easily outdo you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
get professional help now !! next thing he'll be wearing one of those damn Guy Harvey belts and some of those dumbass boat shoes. Gay for sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
if he comes in smelling like fish it is the beginning of the end. control the madness. 706's are way to noisy. maybe a zb under the tree this year. he will lose interest for sure if you buy him the best... don't give in though. keep the faith...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
drew...michas a good kid, and just from being around him a few times i can tell he's a heck of a fisherman. He doesn't have to settle for the pier theres plenty of folks on here that would enjoy having him onboard, myself included

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It sounds like your influence has caused him to seek a different life. Give it up. He will do what he wants to do in spite of what you want. Heck, who knows, maybe Micha will turn out to be some big time tackle manufacturer and have his own television show. Then he'll ask, who's kool now?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
biggamefishr (10/12/2009)drew...michas a good kid, and just from being around him a few times i can tell he's a heck of a fisherman. He doesn't have to settle for the pier theres plenty of folks on here that would enjoy having him onboard, myself included
Drew---Micha will be alright. Josh turned out to be a pretty good guy didn't he? Serioously, there are a lot of other places for Micha to turn bad. The pier rats aren't that bad. As long as they get out on a boat every now and then...I am sure that Micha will grow into a better all around fisherman than any of us....:letsdrink:letsdrink Time to step in when he starts slinging lead at boats.....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Hide aMickey Mousereelin his tackle box and when his friends find it, they will know what Cool really is. I mean there's cool and then there's COOL.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i dont know, seems like a losing battle. the same thing happened to my boy. he mopes around for weeks on end cause he cant stand to use my custom gator blank cobe rod with a lowly 704. nothing but a stall will do. so i bought him his very own brand new boat. thought that would cure him of the pier rat sickness. nothin doin. he's forever lost to the dark side. he sorta got a little better when he rebuilt a 306 a neighbor kid found in the sound. but then he found out there's no manual kit for it, now he's back to mopin around. hey look at the bright side, you'll save tens of thousands of dollars of college money, cause he'll be workin at a tackle shop or bps someday.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
kahala boy (10/12/2009)
biggamefishr (10/12/2009)drew...michas a good kid, and just from being around him a few times i can tell he's a heck of a fisherman. He doesn't have to settle for the pier theres plenty of folks on here that would enjoy having him onboard, myself included

Drew---Micha will be alright. Josh turned out to be a pretty good guy didn't he? Serioously, there are a lot of other places for Micha to turn bad. The pier rats aren't that bad. As long as they get out on a boat every now and then...I am sure that Micha will grow into a better all around fisherman than any of us....:letsdrink:letsdrink Time to step in when he starts slinging lead at boats.....

I was never a pier rat hama, i just know all of them guys. Plus I'm not really a good example of someone turning out alright :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
H2OMARK (10/12/2009)Hide aMickey Mousereelin his tackle box and when his friends find it, they will know what Cool really is. I mean there's cool and then there's COOL.

Now thats FUNNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
ohhh nooo, my son kinda was in the same trap, he now has a 20' bass boat, drives a F250 4WD, with a powerstroke,,,,to make it worse, he shoots a 7 mag, just bought another tree stand !

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
pappastratos (10/12/2009)ohhh nooo, my son kinda was in the same trap, he now has a 20' bass boat, drives a F250 4WD, with a powerstroke,,,,to make it worse, he shoots a 7 mag, just bought another tree stand !
I raised two girls, but if I wouldhave had a son I'd have been proud for him to turn out just like yours (or Drews).

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Drew, Do what you feel is best for him....he might hate you now for it but later in life he will see that you were being a good dad

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
JoeZ (10/12/2009)You're screwed.

If you don't nip this in the bud RIGHT NOW, he'll end up working in a tackle shop in a few years, or worse, end up ... just .... like .... GARBO.
Just remeber, We were pier rats also!How bad are we? Well dissregaurd that last Question but I will say, They will never get away with what we did. Or maybe they're smarter. Raising a child to fish is way better than letting them run the streets with god knows what. We are out there fishing also, Not to much will go on without the "Older pier Raccons" Stepping in. we know when to stop certain situations from going furthur. Some we will go furthur than they will. Dont know to many that was raised fishing that turned out to bad.He's just in that age group that is hard to deal with. You know, the girl deal & the ass whipping stage. He'll be fine. Just be aware of sighns. When things start changing drastically, There could be a problem Arising.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
really cool post!

gives ya real hope for the future!

with all the bad out there, sounds like you raised a goodin

my hat is off to you sir!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts