Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20' pontoon boat, in the last couple of weeksI have lost 2 anchors at 3 mile bridge. What are the best holding anchors for my boat and easy to get off the bottom?:usaflag

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Contact Josh on this forum he makes rock anchors that would be best for that area of fishing with the rubble that is down there. Just put rock anchors in the search engine.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Come on Josh you can do better than that with posting pictures!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts

I've been using a River Anchor, it does alot better at not getting hung on the cables, pipes, debris than a Danforth Anchor. Another thing I do, is to set the anchor under the bridge or in the bay and put out enough scope on the anchor line to set the boat over the rubble...

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
i got tired of getting hung up and just tie off to the pilings now, i have a metal snap on my line which is heavy enough to whip it around the piling and catch it on the other side. no anchor required

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'">Those anchors that Josh makes are the ticket. I bought one very similar at Academy for $80 and haven?t lost an anchor since. His price of $25 seems like a good deal.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Try drilling a hole and hooking it backwards, and I know I'll get blasted, but give it a try. Do a search on here about anchors.

Skip

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

On anchors, it always helps to attach the end of your chain to the tripping ring in this picture or if doesnt have one drill a hole in the crown and attach there. Then run your chain up the shank and put a few zip ties on it so the flukes can move and put a couple more zip ties at the top eye. This way when you try to pull the anchor, it breaks the zip ties and pulls it backwards.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I know those that drill and hook the chain like that, but I didn't like how my anchor set when it was like that. I bought a lenght of strandend 3/16 stainless, hooked one end to the chain and one to the "trip. Used swedges and then tied with zip ties. It works great for me.

Skip

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
i make something like that but instead of welding (cause i ain't got no welder) i use a piece of PVC, bend the rebar slide through the PVC tubing and fill with concrete. It works great especially on the wrecks when the current is really pulling hard just hover over the spot and drop anchor. I have one thats heavy enough to drop into 100ft of water in about 4 seconds no matter what kind of current.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what we do out at 3 mile is step out on the pileings and whatever side you want to stay on drop the anchor right down beside the pileing on the opposite side your not suppost to be up their so do it quick

·
Registered
5 Posts
JoshH (15/01/2010)
"]<a href="http://www.photographers1.com/Sailing/AnchorParts.png[/img]">http://www.photographers1.com/Sailing/AnchorParts.png[/img][/url]</a>

On <span style="text-decoration: underline;">anchors, it always helps to attach the end of your chain to the tripping ring in this picture or if doesnt have one drill a hole in the crown and attach there. Here are the bestjamaica Hotels. Then run your chain up the shank and put a few zip ties on it so the flukes can move and put a couple more zip ties at the top eye. This way when you try to pull the anchor, it breaks the zip ties and pulls it backwards.
This is the anchor we've been using for years. Works well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts