Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of surf fishing lately, and have now gotten interested in the idea of fishing from a kayak. I plan to go look at some this weekend, but thought maybe I could get some insight from you guys as to what to look for, what to stay away from, etc. I plan to mostly fish with conventional gear, but might try to throw in some fly fishing at some point. Also, what size should be my minimum, considering I'm 6'3" 240?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
12 foot min. 13 or 14 would be optimum depending on the beam.
+1, don't go for the 10 footers, despite their alluring price tags. You would be much happier on a big yak

My recommendation depends on what you're willing to spend. I have a rebadged heritage redfish 14 from academy for $500. It's a tank. Highly recommended as a cheap kayak that does it all. I've done rivers, offshore, inshore, camping, fishing. The negatives are that it's a little heavy and doesn't come with a nice seat.

If I were to spend a little more, I would go with the WS ride 135.

If I were to spend a little more, I would look into a Hobie pedal 'yak

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i never looked at the rides, and being a smaller guy if i hadnt gotten such good used deals i probably wouldve gone with a new tarpon 100, i like having the maneuverability. but i dont weigh more than 180 so a 10 footer isnt any problem for me, at 240 and over 6' tall a 13-14 footer is going to fit you better, im short 5'10" on a good day and i cant turn a 14 footer very easily at all, luckily my gf likes our tarpon 140 so we're good, but i think my upgrade from my older model tarpon 120 is going to be a 100, thats just me tho.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My recommendation depends on what you're willing to spend.
I'm probably not willing to go much over $1,000 until I know if I really want to get into this. I'll check into those you've recommended and see what I can find. I'm sure you can buy aftermarket seats, right? Or is it better to just buy one with a decent seat from the get-go?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
You can buy aftermarket seats for the heritage. I wouldn't overlook it because of the crappy seat. In fact, I was planning to replace it, but I have a jet-ski style life jacket that I put behind my back and now I can't see why I need a seat. I can spend a few hours paddling with no problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can buy aftermarket seats for the heritage. I wouldn't overlook it because of the crappy seat. In fact, I was planning to replace it, but I have a jet-ski style life jacket that I put behind my back and now I can't see why I need a seat. I can spend a few hours paddling with no problem.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to look into it. I'll probably try to get the best I can get with some left over for additions.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A thousand bones will get you into a very nice yak. that being said I am 135 5 11 and just put a down payment on a Tarpon 160. Hopefully it works out.

i didnt realize you're so close to me in size, if my experience in the tarpon (glad to see another member of the tarpon family on the water :thumbsup:) 140 is anything to go by then you in the 160 will have to deliberately turn it, me in the 140 i have to brake on the inside pretty aggressively and paddle like hell on the outside and tip up on the outside edge if i want it to turn in this century, however a good stiff stroke and a little tip with the 120 and i can make it spin all i want, but if i keep it level and moderate my strokes it still tracks great, i just feel like us smaller framed guys need a shorter hull to get any kind of comfortable maneuverability (sans rudder ofcourse)

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
I just test paddled it and yes I had to work to turn it. but other than that I really like this boat. I got it at Pensacola Kayak and Sail. I bought their 2010 mango demo Tarpon 160. First time ever in a yak and was very nervous.

·
Registered
947 Posts
big - go look at the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game at Academy - it is designed for larger people and is $499 new. Add another $125 for a good seat, $80 for a paddle, $75 for a PFD and you are good to go.

The best seats are by Surf to Summitt and well worth the money. Get them online...

Or go see Bahen at Pensacola Kayak & Sail - they have everything you need and you can demo them.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
I recommend Pensacola Kayak and Sail also. Bahen went out of his way to help me out. I looked at Academy and they do have several good fishing boats priced right but with no seat. Also check Outcast they have an older version Malibu 14 stealth that may be what you like. If I were still looking it would be down between the Tarpon and Stealth. But PKS will let you test them. Water is cold though!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies! I am planning to go by PKS this weekend and talk to them. Hopefully I can find something priced just right! :thumbsup:

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
Also check out the Elie, the Jackson and the Native. All are good boats and priced good. I was having a hell of a time deciding between them. Probably was not a smart move for me to start out with a 28" wide yak so be sure to compare width.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Also check out the Elie, the Jackson and the Native. All are good boats and priced good. I was having a hell of a time deciding between them. Probably was not a smart move for me to start out with a 28" wide yak so be sure to compare width.

my tarpon 140 is narrower than the 120, not sure if i can really tell any difference between them in stability, dont beat urself up, unless its a tunnel hull you're not going to get ridiculous stability from it, that native propel is solid as a rock tho, way more stable when standing than a hobie even.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts