Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I have been out consistently, we bought our first Yaks six weeks ago and have been out multiple times(Spooky Ln Beach Access in Santa Rosa Beach) and we have yet to catch anything other than Kingfish and a Spanish Mackerel. We have gone out to about 1/2 mile and are fishing with frozen cigar minnows. We would love to catch something else especially something that we can eat. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should we go further out, or possibly change up the bait? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
This time of year, kings and spanish are going to be the most plentiful fish close to the beach so that's going to be the majority of your catch until the water temps start cooling down. Though I'm surprised you haven't gotten any sharks yet. Sharks are fun to catch, just be careful when you get them yak-side as they always have a little energy left in them.

As for catching something else, yes definitely always try new things. Don't go too far but it definitely might be worthwhile to try a mile or 2 offshore as long as you're comfortable, wearing PFDs, and have a backup means of communication.

Also, while frozen cigs are easy to buy on the way down to the launch, I highly recommend trying to catch live bait with a sabiki rig. Bring the cig-cicles with you as back up but if you can catch live cigs, hardtails, spanish sardines, etc and keep them live then you have more options open to you.

Also, as we get into fall and the water starts cooling off you run the chance of other pelagics coming in within a mile or 2 of the beach. We typically see sailfish, blackfin tuna, and even wahoo close to shore on the panhandle when the water temp starts to drop. Granted, there are no gurantees but you might get a shot. Live baits will also significantly increase your chances.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Caught a king and....

This past Sunday we launched at Dune Allen (SRB) and were hoping for something other than a king. Went out about a mile hearing a few reports of black fin tuna with no luck. Started zig zagging our way back in and slam ...my buddies rod starts screaming and the fish headed out to sea and was staying deep but bummer it was another king, biggest one of the year but still it was a king. He ate a live cigar minnow. We worked our way back to the beach and about a 1/3 of a mile off we decided to start looking for bait and to call it a day. As my kayak is still cruising I throw a sabiki out into a school of bait and slam my rod that I was trolling a duster with a fresh cigar minnow on starts screaming.... Got myself my first cow Mahi about 30 inches to the fork.

So yes there is other fish out there you just gotta be real lucky and Sunday I got lucky.
BTW where is spooky ln.?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
We have yet to catch anything other than Kingfish and a Spanish Mackerel. We would love to catch something else especially something that we can eat.
Kings are decent to eat but can get old quick. Spanish are mighty fine eatin... :thumbup:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I live in Blue Mountain Beach, next access down from where yall have been. My $.02 is that if you want eating fish, use a sand flea on a double dropper rig between the first and second sand bar, hoping for pompano or redfish (and probably catching lots of catfish). This does not require a kayak though. Spanish mackerel make great ceviche, I haven't seen many this summer though.
What kingfish rig are you using? I'm trying those triple hooks, where the eye of one goes onto the shaft of the other so its like a train of hooks. Haven't had any luck with them though.
I'm seeing lots of bait these days and am just going to start freelining live ones in addition to trolling cigar minnows.
If you fish in this area and want someone to go with please message me, I could use a buddy for safety reasons and want to go out to some nearby artificial reefs

·
Registered
607 Posts
From what I've heard, the more rare pelagic fish are really just by-catches from King and Spanish fishing. I've yet to catch a mahi or blackfin on the troll from a kayak, but I'll be looking for my first this weekend.

The more experienced guys will just say to put in the time, and it will happen eventually. I would say Mahi are a little rare, blackfin are rare, sailfish are very rare, and wahoo are extremely rare.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Live baits, and get rid of big wire/swivels. But be prepared to lose some hooks! I dont fish over there but where I fish, I really wanted a blackfin or mahi I rarely will go more then a half mile off the beach.

But as said, kings and spanish are what youre mostly going to catch, its really rare that I can say, hey, we are going to catch a dolphin today. However, when I get out on the water and depending on water conditions and bait conditions I did say that we would catch dolphin and we did as every thing was just right!

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
If you are looking for a fishing buddy I am always up for a trip. I am "retired" and fish 3-4 days a week, either in the ICW or off of Pensacola Beach/Ft Pickens. PM me or give me a call/text. I am willing to travel out a few miles with ya to do some bottom fishing. I just got a new bottom fishing pole id LOVE to break in!!!

Chris

910-574-4932

1 - 8 of 8 Posts