Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met a few cool guys on base this past weekend and was talking about how limited surf fishing can get. They all had kayaks that cost 3.5k. Now they have me thinking about buying a fishing kayak but I don’t really know what to look for on a kayak. Also have no idea of what price range to buy in terms of value. Anyone have an extra kayak and able to introduce me to some kayak fishing before I commit? Can pay for bait and time or something like that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Met a few cool guys on base this past weekend and was talking about how limited surf fishing can get. They all had kayaks that cost 3.5k. Now they have me thinking about buying a fishing kayak but I don’t really know what to look for on a kayak. Also have no idea of what price range to buy in terms of value. Anyone have an extra kayak and able to introduce me to some kayak fishing before I commit? Can pay for bait and time or something like that.
I've done a bit of kayak fishing. In my opinion spending that kind of money on a kayak is ludicrous. Kayak fishing should be simple. You need a sturdy platform with some storage, a good seat and some rod holders. If you want more than that just buy a small jon boat or skiff you will be happier. My buddy just got a pedal kayak from Academy. I think he spent about $1,600 all in with paddle and stuff. That's probably the max I would spend. The pedal system is really nice I have to admit. Once guys start putting batteries and bottom machines and all that on there it's kind of counter productive to me. I've fished from a simple sit on top ocean kayak and had a great time. I've fished from a cheap closed top as well, and I wouldn't recommend getting one of those unless you are really tight on budget.

I have never been fishing from a kayak and thought, "man this is so much better than a boat". That's why I think spending thousands is ridiculous. You'd be better served with a tiller steer J16 in my opinion for that money.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I sold my Native Watercraft 14.5 after it sat idle for a couple years once I bought my Beavertail. But I fished a ton on it before then. I bought used and added some accessories (seat cushion, better paddle, stake-out pin, custom fish bag) to make it more user friendly. The NW is a sit-inside and was stable enough to stand to take a leak and look around. I mostly used it in the winter, so I wanted the protection. If you plan to paddle and get out to wade, a sit-on-top is probably more convenient. I was fishing skinny water/tidal creeks so the pedal style really didn't work for me.

The best bet is to go to a kayak store and rent to see which style suits you best. I paid $600 for mine and sold it for $675 with all the accessories. You might also check Rec Services on base or google kayak clubs. There are some in the area. Facebook Marketplace and CL are good places to look for used in addition to the classified section here.

For optimum benefit, launch close to where you'll be fishing and take your time to thoroughly work an area. The beauty of kayaks is stealth and access to spots many boats can't reach.

Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There are a bunch of different guide services out there. I think most of them are on Facebook. Lookup Brandon Barton on FB.

My advice, by once cry once. Do some research and you can spend some money and if you find out it is not for you, you can sell it for little to no loss.

I've done a bit of kayak fishing. In my opinion spending that kind of money on a kayak is ludicrous. Kayak fishing should be simple. You need a sturdy platform with some storage, a good seat and some rod holders. If you want more than that just buy a small jon boat or skiff you will be happier. My buddy just got a pedal kayak from Academy. I think he spent about $1,600 all in with paddle and stuff. That's probably the max I would spend. The pedal system is really nice I have to admit. Once guys start putting batteries and bottom machines and all that on there it's kind of counter productive to me. I've fished from a simple sit on top ocean kayak and had a great time. I've fished from a cheap closed top as well, and I wouldn't recommend getting one of those unless you are really tight on budget.

I have never been fishing from a kayak and thought, "man this is so much better than a boat". That's why I think spending thousands is ridiculous. You'd be better served with a tiller steer J16 in my opinion for that money.
I totally disagree. But different strokes for different folks.

I started kayak fishing back in '02 or '03 and have owned piles of kayaks. It is so hard to beat an Outback or a Pro Angler. I have put more fish and even a few pigs in kayaks than many people have in their boats. There is more versatility in a kayak than a small john boat. Taking a non self bailing boat offshore is a bad idea.
I would routinely fish 4-5 miles offshore in a kayak. Even on nice days, I would never run my little J-16 anywhere near that offshore.
I would fish offshore and catch snapper and then come in and catch reds that evening. You will rarely get any versatility from a boat that can do that for that price point.

As soon as my son gets a few years older, I will get back into kayaks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There are a bunch of different guide services out there. I think most of them are on Facebook. Lookup Brandon Barton on FB.

My advice, by once cry once. Do some research and you can spend some money and if you find out it is not for you, you can sell it for little to no loss.

I totally disagree. But different strokes for different folks.

I started kayak fishing back in '02 or '03 and have owned piles of kayaks. It is so hard to beat an Outback or a Pro Angler. I have put more fish and even a few pigs in kayaks than many people have in their boats. There is more versatility in a kayak than a small john boat. Taking a non self bailing boat offshore is a bad idea.
I would routinely fish 4-5 miles offshore in a kayak. Even on nice days, I would never run my little J-16 anywhere near that offshore.
I would fish offshore and catch snapper and then come in and catch reds that evening. You will rarely get any versatility from a boat that can do that for that price point.

As soon as my son gets a few years older, I will get back into kayaks.
Oh if we are talking off shore that's a different story. I wouldn't go offshore in a kayak period ( I'm considering "offshore" more than a mile) definitely not in a J16. I was thinking inshore. If you have the budget for a rigged out kayak go for it. I just like simplicity....which is a nicer way of saying I'm broke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I’m renting a kayak from base tomorrow. Anyone know a good spot to fish near ski beach or a good spot to park and launch? I’m looking at google earth and looks like I’ll be getting a good arm workout

1 - 8 of 8 Posts