Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to say 1st off how much I really enjoy this site & all the useful information I have gotten from it, wish I knew some of U on a more personel level though.

My question I have been pondering around in my head is I'm thinking of buying a bass boat from my brother-in-law as I live in central Mississippi & do alot of fresh water fishing. My family does own a condo in Perdido Key area & about 3 to 4 times a year I go down to fish. How hurtful is it on a Bass boat to go inshore fishing about 3 to 4 times a year out of it. I have also ponder though just getting a center console so I can go a mile or 2 off shore but also use in the large lakes around my area. I will say this, the price is right on the bass boat.

Any info would be apperciated

·
Registered
869 Posts
I say it'll be totally fine to go saltwater BUT, I would recommend using the SALT-AWAY cleaners afterwards. Not just soap and water...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I haven't had the joy of owning a boat yet, so I'll defer to others that have. However, you may want to look into whether the trailer is galvanized or not. Unless you plan to wash your trailer after you launch the boat and before you actually get in the boat, then the trailer is going to sit for at least several hours covered in salt water....galvanazation extends the life of your trailer...others with experience can chime in on this.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have an 18? Nitro 800XLS and I fish inshore and brackish all the time. As long as you rinse the boat down good and flush the motor every time you should have no issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He guys thanks for the info. I thought there might be a LITTLE negativity torwards taking yur boat both ways but from the replys above you really sealed it up for me.

again thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
The trailer is going to rust ,as stated, if its not galvanized. But have you thought about a flats or small bayboat instead of the bass boat. They may be better suited for double duty then the bass boat.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
redeyes (3/4/2010)The trailer is going to rust ,as stated, if its not galvanized. But have you thought about a flats or small bayboat instead of the bass boat. They may be better suited for double duty then the bass boat.
Definitely don't go with a painted trailer. My bass boat is on an aluminum Performance I-beam trailer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
redeyes (3/4/2010)The trailer is going to rust ,as stated, if its not galvanized. But have you thought about a flats or small bayboat instead of the bass boat. They may be better suited for double duty then the bass boat.
redeyes I have priced a couple center console boat as I would like to be able to go out into the ocean on calmer days & troll or go to some of the rigs but the bass boat is priced right + I know nothings wrong with it & priced right..Maybe in 3 to 4 years I can then upgrade to a center console

1 - 9 of 9 Posts