Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has run into any schools of bull reds around the Pen pass or off the beaches or anywhere Thinking about headingout tomorrow thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Unless it has changed since 10 days ago, here is what I learned from several posts on this forum, including one very helpful one from a guide. Several tips were new to me and they really worked. I have copied it below, but here it is in a nutshell: Go WEST from the Pass 1 mile off the beach as fay as you can. Look for birds or other boats. Use jigs. Throw out and let it fall to the bottom. Last one I caught was 27# with a 3/8" yellow jig head with a white grub with 12 lb test line!

AJ

Take some binoculars with you, and scower the water for bird activity. Pelicans and large gulls are your best sign of fish, as they will usually target the menhaden, same as bull reds. when you get around the birds keep an eye on the bottom machine, it should light up with bait and fish. As for baits, I use a 2oz bucktail jig or a large bunker colored storm to cast at the birds, or to drop on the bait that my bottom machine is marking.

If you keep your eyes open, it is almost for sure that you will see reds destroying the top throughout the day, so have a hefty top water bait ready to throw when this happens. I generally start my search to the west of the pass and as far as the Ala. line, or the Eaden condos. Dont be afraid to burn the gas, because most of my best fishing is as far as the beginning of Johnsons beach and further to the west. Again, birds are the best way to locate feeding fish, and sometimes you cant see them without the binoculars, or at least I cant. When chasing the birds, you are more than likely to be with several other boats, so be courteous and dont crash through the middle of the bird activity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You need to go to the pass on either a falling or rising tide. If the tide is falling then the reds will be off of our beaches and if the tide is rising then they will be in the bay throw a SPRO buck tail or a topwater. I caught a 40 incher around NAS yesterday. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts