Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'M LOOKING TO BUILD AN ANCHOR LOCKER HATCH FOR A 17 AQUASPORT. DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE FROM ANOTHER VESSEL, OR TEAK PLANKS, AND A LOUVERED DOOR FOR SALE. OR IS THERE A GOOD PLACE INTOWN TO PURCHASE TEAK FROM?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Worth getting in touch with Tom, oldflathead he often has teak and his wife is pretty good with woodwork and can build anything, he is on the bayou and forum.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Teak is really expensive now. Last I checked about 8 mos ago, it was over $25bd/ft. Probably over $30 now. I get mine out of Mobile.

You can get mahogany for half that and I have been using it for grabrails, trim and other customer items.

IF you get in a pinch, I have some mahogany shorts at the the shop.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey tom how does that mahogany turn out vrs. teak when staining and polyurethaning? The boat already has teak on it and i'd like to get the same shade/look.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The mahogony is not as dark as the teak and more of a rust color. You can stain it to get it close to teak. I think a dilluted walnut or a pecan stain works best. It takes some trial an error to get the right stain formula and I do that on scraps. The mahogany does not have the gold grain that you sometimes see in teak when it is sealed in a high gloss.

I have repaired a few teak louvered doors that had the slats badly damaged. What I did was make slats out of mahogany and reused the outer door frame that was teak. The contrast of the two different woods actually looked really nice once finished.

Here are some Mahogany grab rails and trim pieces I fabricated for a customer. The grabrail on the left in the first picture is an original teak rail. The others in that picture are the mahogany reproductions in raw and stained form. The second picture shows the reproductions in high gloss (Bristol) finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
There is a flooring store in Foley it's on 59 really close (a little south maybe) of where the Foley Beach Express intersects with 59. They have teak plus other tropical hardwoods. A boat guy over here told me they have the best prices and a wide selection. Store is Tropical Flooring or something like that. It is on the West side of 59, but I can't remember if it is N or S of the intersection, though I spotted it the other day.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,306 Posts
If I remember correctly Polyurethane is not for exterior use. Especially on a boat.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Correct is you are talking about furniture poly.

There is also Marine polyurethane products that have the UV inhibitors that reduce breakdown.

They have become the sythetic replacement for varishes.

Bristol is one I commonly use. Cetal is another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts