Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Amberjack
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ended up going duck hunting Saturday, Dec. 8 over in the North top half of Perdido Bay, till around about 4:20/4:30 and then started heading back to the location where my truck was parked when I looked behind me and noticed that while pulling my kayak my shotgun had fallen off ( For image of shotgun look at attached file) . Now I did try to look and feel around for it for just a little bit over the area that I thought it might have fallen off in but had no luck. (For location/area look at the attached file of the map.) So, I waited for the next day and Mr. Dave and I ended up going back out and waded around and felt around in the same area for it in a zig-zag pattern over the path that I had walked/ towed the kayak over, and that the shotgun might have fallen off on, but we had no luck in locating it and that my dad just passed it down to me for a late 17th birthday present just this Thanksgiving, and I would be hunting by myself for the first time this year, and need a gun to hunt with, and with it being the very first gun ever passed down to me, and of great sentimental value as a family air loom. If anyone might happen to know of its whereabouts or happens to actually find it if they would please tell me I would very very very much appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Constitution Conservative
2,588 Posts
Time to go magnet fishing.
Seriously, go buy one of the large Neodymium magnets and 25-50 yards of stout cord.
$35-$40 on Amazon

Then go fishing for that shotgun.

·
Registered
14,835 Posts
Borrow a metal detector quick!
When i was 23 i laid a remington rifle and shotgun on the dog box, loaded up my girlfriend and headed off to the fair. Bout halfway there, i remembered the guns. Found them both laying in the middle of the highway, been run over several times. I cried - i really did! Ended up buying more and marrying the girl - 32 yrs ago. Hope you find it but its not the end of the world if you dont

·
Constitution Conservative
2,588 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,912 Posts
Make sure you call ECSO and tell em you lost it too so if it was found and turned in, you can get it back...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just go to Amazon and search fishing magnet.
You can check out on youtube people “magnet fishing” and get an idea
what to do.
Dragging a strong magnet in the area where you think it may have
fell out of your yak would be the first thing I’d try to locate a gun
under water.

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Go to harbour freight and get a small strong magnet, put it on a casting rod and start casting it out slow retrive it in the area
Forgot to ad if the magnet attaches go look and see what it hooked into it probably wont pick a shotgun up only locate it or something metal.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
When we used to hunt Black River in Arkansas we always had floating gun cases when we were traveling in the boat. I can remember a few times jumping levees a gun bouncing out. Turn around and pick it up. Probly wouldn't be a bad idea to have a string with a small float attached hunting from a yak.

Hate to hear you lost it Brayden. Good luck finding it. Magnet is probably the best option. Doesn't need to be a huge one. Do what Sealark said, you can cover a lot of bottom that way.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
How deep is the water where you lost it? Sounds really shallow so I would round up every friend that I have and wade the area.
Whatever you do, do it quick before the saltwater ruins the gun.

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
How deep of water were you in...? Maybe on a very low tide it would be easier for you to find your gun....Sorry for your situation....

·
Amberjack
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When it comes to depth in the area that is circled right off the beach, for me being that I wade that whole beach. That particular area when wading on a slick and calm day is normally at my waste or is in between my waist and chest, and me being about 5 ft 5-6 in I would have to say that the water is somewhere between maybe 2, 3 1/2, 4 ft; but you guys are right that part of the bay is mainly and normally really shallow.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
So sad, the magnet drag will be your best best, that and 4-5 friends, underwater metal detector that can be rented, mine is not waterproof or I would offer it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I feel your pain! Valuable lesson learned! My gun stays in a floating case as mentioned earlier while traveling during that kind of hunting. If you can’t find, afford, or borrow a gun for the rest of the season, I got a pump Mossberg you can borrow.

·
Amberjack
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No need to worry anymore guys. Ended up leaving school today ran by Harbor freight bought a magnet. Then ended up coming out here to the bay. Do you need even end up using it at all and ended up just walking out noticed something floating in the water that ended up being my sling attached to my gun. So all is good on her right now some sand, but all it needs is a little dissembling some real nice cleaning, and it’ll be ready to bust some quackers. HOORAY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
No need to worry anymore guys. Ended up leaving school today ran by Harbor freight bought a magnet. Then ended up coming out here to the bay. Do you need even end up using it at all and ended up just walking out noticed something floating in the water that ended up being my sling attached to my gun. So all is good on her right now some sand, but all it needs is a little dissembling some real nice cleaning, and it’ll be ready to bust some quackers. HOORAY!!!!!!!
Great! I’m glad the gun was found!

·
Amberjack
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I didn’t really think about the typing very much. I was a little too too too excited to think really. I mean hell I just found not only a $800 Benelli Pump action 12 gauge, but also The family heirloom that my dad passed down to me as my first shot gun ever passed down and that it was very important to him so it means a lot to me also. Not only that but this also means I can go duckhunting again and shoot some Quacker’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts