Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys- I am looking to take 2 days worth of charter fishing for YFT, dolphin, wahoo, and the rigs. Please let me know who you think the best captains are, what the rates are, best place to stay, food quality, etc. We have at least 4 people going. Thnx, Mike

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
mdrobe2 (1/6/2008)Guys- I am looking to take 2 days worth of charter fishing for YFT, dolphin, wahoo, and the rigs. Please let me know who you think the best captains are, what the rates are, best place to stay, food quality, etc. We have at least 4 people going. Thnx, Mike
Can't believe this question keeps coming up. I see you are a long time member(10/23/2005), and would think you would contact Captain Mike or Captain Eddie (no particular order, both great guys), but thats me...Our own forum members.:banghead:banghead

Captain Mike Ellis... http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25843

Not sureif this is the correctCaptain Eddie.. http://fullnetcharters.com but Captain Mike, I'm sure can/will give you his contact information.

http://fullnetcharters.com/

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy there Tuna Man. I am not on the new forum much and don't have the advanced knowledge of members that you have.I have spoken to Capt. Mike Ellis on the phone.I found him using a Google search. I'll try to research it more on the forum- I know I took an easy way out.

Freespool- one of the guides recommended June/July for best YFT and dolphin action, so tentative for then.

Thanks All,

Mike

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
mdrobe2 (1/6/2008)Easy there Tuna Man. I am not on the new forum much and don't have the advanced knowledge of members that you have.I have spoken to Capt. Mike Ellis on the phone.I found him using a Google search. I'll try to research it more on the forum- I know I took an easy way out.

Freespool- one of the guides recommended June/July for best YFT and dolphin action, so tentative for then.

Thanks All,

Mike

Hey Mike he was taking it easy, (this is a very good topic)though I would recommend all of the above and I cannot remember his name but he logs on from time to time as Capt Hoop I think. I am not sure but either Capt Mike or Capt Eddie joined Reel Peace. All of the above just kick ass in my opinion. All guys that work hard. I have had the pleasure of meeting Capt Mike Ellis and Capt Eddie Burger in person. Unfortunately weather has kept me from fishing with Capt Mike but I would fish with any of them on any given day. I was drinking a beer on the dock in Fourchon when Capt Mike and Capt Eddie came in after some brutal seas. The waves destroyed the Plexi on the windshield of one of the boats, they were that bad. However when everyone was finally warmed up, I helped them unload some beautiful YFT's. Those guys work hard and contribute to this forum. I can tell you, you will never meet better people.

Good Luck and tight lines. The only personal advice I can give you, is to schedule at least 5 days. You may be weathered in and when it breaks you go. Last year I drove down 6 times and never once got off shore.:banghead

That will not stop me from doing the same this year.:letsdrink

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use Captain Gary Bryant. <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12px; LEFT: 620px; COLOR: #993300; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 12px">[email protected] | 251-540-6982</DIV>

Check out his site and boat at redeyedcharters.com

About the same price as the rest of the guys over there but his boat is comfortable and he and his deck hand will worktheir butts off all day to keep you on the fish. All of his gear is top notch.

I fished a 32' Twin VeePilotHouse a couple years ago and for those of us who were not in the pilot house it sucked.COLD and WET

Last year we left with over 600lbs of mostly yellow fin the biggest being 191lbs.

I know he books up early. We have him booked for the 16th of Feb.
<A name=top></A><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<A name=top></A><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><A name=top></A>

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mike- We are planning to schedule 2 days and fish YFT the first day and rigs (cobes, AJ's)the second, mainly due to the cost of scheduling more days. what do they typically do if you get weathered in? We will be paying for accomodations regardless, so we need to fish while we are there and have a back up plan. Perhaps an inshore trip? What has your experience been? Also, how do you recommend tipping? I am wondering what a typical tip would be and if you tip part of your funds in advance or not. I have been a mate on a charter before, sad to say i did not earn a tip, but it was just a trip we took for a friend's Dadwhen he was already booked. We did not do as well as we thought we should have, though we did catch fish. Also, do you like any place around there for a bunk and some cajun cooking, as well as perhaps a few cold ones? Thanks so much all...Mike

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I am no expert, seeing as how I am yet to get offshore, and yet to catch a YFT with any of those guys, but I would not waste my time fishing with anyone else except an experienced capt from this forum. If you have a mate, then of course tip as you see fit. Usually 20% of the trip has been my experience (personally I also tip the Captain, but that is my preference).

The folks I have been trying to go with build that expense as well as lodging into the trip, we split everything equally. Food and alcohol are up to each individual. There are a lot of guys as well as myself that like to hook up and go together (some I have not even had a chance to meet due to the weather). Unfortunately unless you bring your own boat or are hoping to fish on standby, you are up to the mercy of the weather and the Tuna.

Backup plan is easy, just go fishing anywhere (If I am not mistaken you will need a La, three day license and it runs about 70 bucks or so. Not so if you fish with a charter, generally 10 bucks or so with the Capt's Number on a charter. Ron Tuna_Man can give you the exact details, might have been on the thread he directed you to, I didnt check it).

We had a ball catching black drum and redfish off the dock in Fourchon. Unless those guys have not gotten a day off in a long time, I am sure they would be willing to do what Capt Hoop just posted about.

Good luck Mike and just remember to bring plenty of warm dry clothes. Cold as crap on the way out, and on the way in. I almost had a heat stroke when we were on the Lump. Way too many clothes. Bring a dry bag and put a change of clothes in it. Makes a nice pillow for the ride out or the way home even if you dont use them.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
mdrobe2 (1/6/2008)Easy there Tuna Man. I am not on the new forum much and don't have the advanced knowledge of members that you have. I have spoken to Capt. Mike Ellis on the phone. I found him using a Google search. I'll try to research it more on the forum- I know I took an easy way out.

Thanks All,

Mike
Mike..I'm not busting your butt. It's just that EVERY time this time of the year this subject comes up. This reminds me of the "braid vrs mono" questions. The fact is that the very question you asked is how I found this site 3 years ago, in the first place. LA sticks it up a non residents ass as far as a fishing license is concerned. You need to buy a freshwater license before you can buy a saltwater one.. to the tune of $90.00/year**. The HMS permit (one per boat) was I believe $28.00 (no need if going on a charter boat as they will have one).

*Persons who fish from a charter vessel in saltwater areas of the state, with a licensed guide on board at all times, may possess a Charter Passenger License at a cost of $5.00 that is valid for three consecutive days.

**Non-residents fishing under the direction of a charter operation in a licensed charter skiff in saltwater areas of the state may possess a non-resident charter skiff three-day license at a cost of $30.00 and shall be valid for three consecutive days.

4,058 Posts
mdrobe2 (1/6/2008)

tha'ts nonsense. that's the best part about venice-they have tuna year round. seems like the greater concentration of 130-200+ pound fish TEND to congregate around the lump jan-feb, then move off back to the floaters (mars, ursa, thunderhorse, devil's tower, cognan, genesis, etc. etc. etc.) but they can be found year round. i highly recommend capt. eddie on the forum, as i have helped him out before decking and he has both a vast amount of local knowledge but will also run his boat (36 contender) all over the gulf to put his clients on some tuna.

4,058 Posts
mdrobe2 (1/6/2008)Also, how do you recommend tipping? I am wondering what a typical tip would be and if you tip part of your funds in advance or not.
all depends on the trip. obviously, if the fish are not biting, this is not your deckie's fault. especially if he is bustin his ass gettin nasty chunking all day for you. if he has great social skills and keeps you entertained, while also making sure fish after fish are pounding on the deck, then it is not a problem for me to earn anywhere from 15-30% of the trip cost. remember, the deckhand is your link between (often) ignorant anglers and the fish of a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Lump season is best for big fish, but the summer is much more fun. Lots of 50-100lb fish and tons of dolphin, also you have a good chance at a blue. The weather doesn't suck and you don't have to get all nasty chunking. Summer is the best IMO.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks to The Blue Hoo and Freespool. We are not planning on a monster YFT, we would be happy with 65 pounders on up, and we will be tipping well to those hard working deck hands. Thanks again all. I am putting together a Microsoft Word document that I will post later to help everyone else out that has been in my position on booking your first trip to LA.

Mike

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The Blue Hoo (1/7/2008)
mdrobe2 (1/6/2008)Also, how do you recommend tipping? I am wondering what a typical tip would be and if you tip part of your funds in advance or not.
all depends on the trip. obviously, if the fish are not biting, this is not your deckie's fault. especially if he is bustin his ass gettin nasty chunking all day for you. if he has great social skills and keeps you entertained, while also making sure fish after fish are pounding on the deck, then it is not a problem for me to earn anywhere from 15-30% of the trip cost. remember, the deckhand is your link between (often) ignorant anglers and the fish of a lifetime.
How did I get involved in this post Woody?((often) ignorant anglers )

4,058 Posts
ironman172 (1/8/2008)
The Blue Hoo (1/7/2008)
How did I get involved in this post Woody?((often) ignorant anglers )
dont put words in my mouth, billy boy!! :doh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts