Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2nd gps to be mounted on the second help area outside. I am looking for an idea that I can remove the Unit and I want the cables (power and network) to retract and be sealed from the environment. Something with a cap on it, where I can pull the cable to attach it to the unit and when the unit is not in use, I can push the cables back into the steering box, and seal from the weather... The GPS will be mounted with the removable bracket that comes with the unit attached to the top (or near the top) of the external helm station? Not through he bulk head, but the gps will be in that green box....

Boat Watercraft Water Naval architecture Sky

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I just bought a 2nd gps to be mounted on the second help area outside. I am looking for an idea that I can remove the Unit and I want the cables (power and network) to retract and be sealed from the environment. Something with a cap on it, where I can pull the cable to attach it to the unit and when the unit is not in use, I can push the cables back into the steering box, and seal from the weather... The GPS will be mounted with the removable bracket that comes with the unit attached to the top (or near the top) of the external helm station? Not through he bulk head, but the gps will be in that green box....

View attachment 1086300
Rectangle Font Space City Horizon
May be something like this? Marine radio cover door flips up

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say a ram mount ball mount for easily removing the unit.
Mounting isn't the problem, Its the running of the cables, so they arent exposed to the weather when the unit is not n use and removed.

[
View attachment 1086302

Yes, I'm leaning toward a 4 or 5 inch and reach in pull the cables and return the cables into the box after use..
Could inset it under a hatch

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I hate the ram mount for anything with weight. Use one in my bay boat and I can't tell you how many times that thing has come loose and it's standing upright on the console not on a slope like Jims looking at.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
583 Posts
BoatOutfitters.com can probably fab one up for you. Not cheap, but they have the equipment to make it look like OEM.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thanks, I'm leaning towards a 4 inch access patch (round deck plate) and having the cables in the steering box. Open the hatch when I have the Unit in operation and close it up when done...
You going to remove all units when in storage or just that one? Reason I ask some of these units and cables don't like to be plugged and unplugged a lot Those fine little pin connections on some are easily damage.May want to inset in the consol with a locking slide or door. I'm with Splittine and FishinSpot. I bet X shark knows exactly what to do and make it look Great!

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You going to remove all units when in storage or just that one? Reason I ask some of these units and cables don't like to be plugged and unplugged a lot Those fine little pin connections on some are easily damage.May want to inset in the consol with a locking slide or door. I'm with Splittine and FishinSpot. I bet X shark knows exactly what to do and make it look Great!
Just this outside unit will be removed for storage.

·
Registered
31 Posts

View attachment 1086300
Locking box with a lid and keep it sealed and permanent

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If I had that boat and I do love it! I would make or have made a box to go between the window and that console that opened like the door in a hard top or slide open but be able to be locked. And if you don't want people(Thieves) to see in just don't make the door/lid see through. Plus if it is as wide as the console you will have extra storage to put things in and forget where you put them.LOL That would be me anyway! This is intriguing. I would like to know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts