Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy, my brother in law and his buddy, both from Maine, are looking at meeting up and hunting somewhere this fall. We are 99% gun hunters so it seems that the Kentucky or Missouri gun seasons line up best with everyone's work schedules. We don't need or want fancy and high dollar, but don't want a waste of time either. Anybody have any experience in either state, with any particular outfit? And yes, I know you can do public land, but for our first trip away, to see if we like it and if don't end up strangling each other, thinking a outfitter might be the best option.

Any and all advice or experiences are welcomed

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lived in KY several years ago, but never got a chance to hunt. I moved back, because as the oldest of six with an elderly mother, and being single with a grown kid, the rest of my siblings feel it is responsibility to look after her. Anyways, being a disabled vet, and her about to start living solely on Social Security and a small retirement pension, I am looking to supplement both our food stocks with game, as well as putting in a garden at her place.
Since I don't know anybody with land that don't fall silent when I ask, I am looking at WMA's. The hunting laws here seem to be more complicated than I am used to dealing with, and I have never hunted on public land. Where is a good resource that can explain in layman's terms, the hows and whats in regards to hunting a WMA in KY? Or even better, can anybody point me in the direction of land owners that have managed herds and do annual culls? I am only looking to fill the freezers, and I have never been a trophy hunter.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was born and raised in east KY til i was 19 years old and always had family members with private land to hunt on, so I can't help you with an outfitter. I can tell you that the Central/Northern and Western parts of the state have the most trophy deer because of the flatter land and bountiful food. Where I'm from in the East is good also, but the mountains are so steep and deer mainly feed on acorns, where the other areas have lots of corn, greens, clover fields.

To the other poster, Kentucky is a very easy state for hunting regulations. The seasons are the same throughout the entire state, modern gun season is always 2 weeks in November...the bag limits/regulations depend on which zone you are hunting in is the only thing you need to differentiate. fw.ky.gov will have all the info you need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts