Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to grab my first cross bow to hunt next bow season(maybe this year if my wife is cool with it :) What do I need to know and be looking for in a cross bow. School me please! What do I need to be looking for and what separates a good cross bow from an el cheapo? thanks in advanced

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Look at Excalibur. They are very good. I have one and it is very accurate. I have shot dead bullseye at 50 yards so far and I'm sure will go further but haven't tried yet due to hunting. It's a recurve, now a compound with a bunch of cams so less maintenance but very powerful. Take a look at them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Me and my hunting buddy shoot wicked ridge Madd by TenPoint. Nothing but insane accuracy out of then and they shoot super fast. Advice from me...if you get one stick with the aluminum arrows that come with your bow. They really are tuned for your crossbow and by staying with aluminum they will tear right through bone and all. I got mine from bass pro. Get one that hasn't been shot. I called a few days in a row and waited on one that had just came in and never been shot. You don't want one that has been coke by who knows who and unevenly pulled back.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a barnett headhunter package that I bought just before bow season I am thinking about selling.I killed 4 or 5 with it this year just don't think crossbow hunting is for me. I have bow hunted my whole life and just wanted to try it. It comes with a stock mounted crank.I would make sure whatever I bought had the crank.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Crossbows (unlike most compound bows) do fail.

Buy one with a lifetime warranty. Parker and Excalibur both have great customer service and a lifetime warranty.
Ten Point and Wicked Ridge have a 5 year warranty.

Make sure to follow instructions on rail lubing and string waxing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming. There is a lot I didn't know and don't know. Mostly, do I really want to go this road. I'm mainly looking to add some hunting time to the calendar. Am I better off picking up a good bow and putting in the practice time to do it right?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Off topic a little and don't mean to hijack. I also have thought about buying a crossbow. Someone mentioned waxing the strings and such. Can a crossbow string break and the arrow go ape shit and hit you from shooting it? Kinda like a gun blowing up in your face deal.

I'm asking because I think crossbow hunting would be more for me than drawstring. What lb. would you recommend to buy for deer?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I got 3, a couple loaners now and backups.....never wanted to put in the time for the compound to get good,

a cross bow get it sighted in and familiar with yardages and go hunt and kill ....it is bow hunting so you still will have a few that get away....it has extended my season from the end of sept. to the first of feb. .....plus now my shoulders and Arthur wouldn't like drawing a bow at all

·
Registered
433 Posts
Crossbow

JK, DL
Here is my opinion.. take or leave.. Reason I'm even responding is I got my crossbow for the exact same reason that you state - to expand my hunting season.

I bought a used Parker crossbow from a forum member. I won't say that I'm unhappy but wish I would have had the money to go to somewhere like BuckNBass here in P-cola and let them educate me on different styles, weights, feel and then shoot several of the different models that they have at their range in the shop. Since I was not sure if I would like it, I bought used=less money spent on initial investment. Here are my basic lessons.
1. I cannot hold steady freestanding..I'm 50+ and it’s not that it's heavy, just kind of awkward I have to rest on something to steady to get accurate groups.
2. Use the arrows that are recommended for the bow..My parker takes red hots and they run$7+ a bolt
Then if you want the lighted nocks, you’re looking at $25+ for three(3) and then you still have to buy the broad heads. I decided to go with Rage after seeing folks on here who I respect as hunters (I’m new to hunting-only my 3rd season) who always seemed to sing their praise. Three Rage crosshead broad heads= $30+….So…One bolt to <maybe
one day> take down an additional deer -$25+
Then the target – I thought you could just use a regular bow target. Well maybe you can but I experienced
several that passed through and that resulted in lost bolts after many shots to the same area on the target. (I’m shooting into wetlands behind my house).
Then the club land where I hunt.- Paper mill land planted in pine that has a LOT of native growth. Don’t think it has ever been cut.
My point here..If I get a deer that runs more than 100-150 feet off my cleared plot area I probably would never find, plus most of time I hunt by myself so would be tracking alone.
Bottom line is, it really depends on you. I enjoy shooting my Parker in the back yard to challenge myself and sometimes just unwind after a crazy day. I have taken one shot at a real deer this year and shot low. Will I hunt in Feb with it once gun season is done??.. Yes...but..I will be damn sure I get a clean kill shot and that may mean the deer getting closer than one ever will. (I’m still trying to figure out the whole sent thing
J I hope that help s in some small way and good luck.
R/Walt

·
Registered
433 Posts
Two other things.
Rope cocker - Got to have.
Shoulder sling. Nice to have.

For DL
Don't know on your question about arrow but know string does have to be replaced as like anything can break and if breaks and is under pressure assume could do damage to user. I look at oiling and waxing them just like I do cleaning and oiling my rifle...weapons maintenance is weapons maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would recommend excalibur. I have an older Exocet 200 and its never gave me any problems. They have an excellent warranty. You can do any work that it may need yourself , including changing the string. They are very accurate. With the string cocker they are easy to cock,with a crank even easier. Always use a cocking aid with any crossbow for the simple reason of consistency . You will have to try different combinations of bolts,fetching,broad heads, to see what shoots best from your bow. They can be damaged but its usually operator error.most commonly not making sure the limbs don't hit a tree when shooting. Always be aware where your thumb is when shooting.i Xbox thumb is a bad thing. Some of the new ones may take a thumb off if it in the wrong place.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
If you go with Excalibur, consider shooting THEIR broad heads. They tested every major manufacturers, and found that Innerlock broad heads shot the best out of their equipment. Excalibur has their name on the packaging, but look at the fine print and you will see mfg, by "Innerlock".

Two more things to ponder:
- Get a crossbow that is 160 pound minimum.
- Don't get an Excalibur if confined to shooting houses because of the width of the recurve limbs.
It is otherwise, a fabulous piece of shooting equipment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts