Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase stuff you’re children might have out grown. Looking to buy netting, balls etc., to work with my six year old grandson on his hitting.

Any type of large netting I can work with also.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,591 Posts
Phone:1-800-211-0518 or 251-943-6911
Mail:Brunson Net & Supply, Inc.
17778 Hwy. 98 West
Foley, Al. 36535

They may have what you are looking for, I get all my stuff from them. Talk to Steve, good people.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I bought an old shrimp net that was unusable for them from Brunson when my guys were young and hung us a nice practice spot in the yard.
I think we may still have some bats and a hitting stick if you end up coming over this way.

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought an old shrimp net that was unusable for them from Brunson when my guys were young and hung us a nice practice spot in the yard.
I think we may still have some bats and a hitting stick if you end up coming over this way.
Thanks, may take you up in that.

I need to pay you something though

·
Registered
932 Posts
To be clear - I dont have the net anymore, I think I passed it to another Dad in our league.

as far as the other stuff , - we would be glad to see it get used - no paying allowed:)

i need to see what we have

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be clear - I dont have the net anymore, I think I passed it to another Dad in our league.

as far as the other stuff , - we would be glad to see it get used - no paying allowed:)

i need to see what we have
Yeah, I understood.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Now you are in an area I can actually provide guidance, my son is playing so our gear is still in use. But I figured I'd make a few suggestions.

#1 make sure to get a good tee. My son and his team have broken probably 5 of the different cheaper tees through the years. Get him a short tanner tee (you can make a 5 pound weight to keep it stable). They are expensive but I would have saved money by now if I had bought the nicer tee in the first place.

#2 nets are expensive so we hit off the tee into an old harbor freight tarp, you will need to put some weight on the bottom to keep it from flying up. We ziptie old 2x4's to ours.

#3 hand to eye trainer-you can buy a hitting sticks that is much smaller than a bat you use to hit wiffle golf balls. For a cheaper option duct tape some 3/4" pvc and it works just fine. Use these and some regular sized wiffle balls with his regular bat and its perfect because they don't go that far and don't hurt so bad when they hit you.

#4 When you start looking at bats you need to figure out league he plays in? There are a couple different bat standards out there now and depending on what league he is playing in will determine which type of bat he needs (USA vs USSSA).

and I haven't even started on fielding and throwing yet 😁

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now you are in an area I can actually provide guidance, my son is playing so our gear is still in use. But I figured I'd make a few suggestions.

#1 make sure to get a good tee. My son and his team have broken probably 5 of the different cheaper tees through the years. Get him a short tanner tee (you can make a 5 pound weight to keep it stable). They are expensive but I would have saved money by now if I had bought the nicer tee in the first place.

#2 nets are expensive so we hit off the tee into an old harbor freight tarp, you will need to put some weight on the bottom to keep it from flying up. We ziptie old 2x4's to ours.

#3 hand to eye trainer-you can buy a hitting sticks that is much smaller than a bat you use to hit wiffle golf balls. For a cheaper option duct tape some 3/4" pvc and it works just fine. Use these and some regular sized wiffle balls with his regular bat and its perfect because they don't go that far and don't hurt so bad when they hit you.

#4 When you start looking at bats you need to figure out league he plays in? There are a couple different bat standards out there now and depending on what league he is playing in will determine which type of bat he needs (USA vs USSSA).

and I haven't even started on fielding and throwing yet
I appreciate it but I have a 26 year old son and 31 year old daughter. There isn’t a sport I haven’t coached. Been there and done that. I can remember changing team shirts while driving between girls and boys ball fields.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
I appreciate it but I have a 26 year old son and 31 year old daughter. There isn’t a sport I haven’t coached. Been there and done that. I can remember changing team shirts while driving between girls and boys ball fields.
Oh the Fun of Bleacher Butt Days!!
Been there, done that one.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
I loved those early Saturday mornings.
Yeppers, however, my wife and I would have to split up to cover two different kids, at different areas.
So, I started taking two comfortable folding chairs, a large beach umbrella, and spray bottle of water.
And set up between the bleachers and home plate.
Eventually, one of the moms would ask to join me, so I had someone to sit with and talk, as we were shaded, and then misted ourselves to keep cool.
This was in Gretna, an area of New Orleans.

Eventually, I then managed the concession stand, and cooked some good food, that really produced a good income for the booster club.
I would watch as everyone would bring the Hamburgers from fast food.
So Red Beans and Rice, Gumbo, Hot Dogs with Good Chili, Good Hamburgers, lots of fries in Peanut Oil, and other items like this would help the moms get food on after school days.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I did the old shrimp nets many years ago too. Worked great and they were actually free because of the age. Worked for us through three kids playing ball.

·
Super Moderator
28,393 Posts
Oh the Fun of Bleacher Butt Days!!
Been there, done that one.
Yepper, I spent several years of breakfast/lunch/dinners at the ballpark!!! Between 3 kids all playing sports, it was busy!!! Wouldn't trade it fer the world though!!!

Reactions: BananaTom
1 - 18 of 18 Posts