Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Been looking in this part of the forum for a while and now I think it's best just to ask especially since the friends I've made so far are new too and/or don't hunt...

It sounds like I'll have a lot of down time these next few months and figured I'd like to get out in the woods. This is my first year down here and I've spent most of it on piers (not successfully). I'm currently thinking about buying a bow and look for some deer ... but am I too late this year?

My experience consists of hunting grouse/pheasant in MN and 1 year of ducks in ND, but from what I read that can be tough down here too (plus my guns are still in MN)

Basically what I'm looking for is advice on where to begin... I've been reading a lot but am now trying to narrow it down.

Scouting tips in this area (do I NEED a boat for escambia wma, is Blackwater a better option?). Also, there are some critters down here I never had to think about - anything special for them?

Must have gear for the woods? I have a general idea but if you find something extra helpful. (Probably be staying on the ground if that helps)

I should be shipped out of the state next summer so this may be my only year down here and would like to see what it has to offer

Sorry for the book - Thanks for reading

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a older bow you can have if you come pick it up. May need new stings but you should get by with it like it is for this season. PM me and we can meet up. Don't know anything about Blackwater but it you want to hunt Escambia WMA most people I know do it by boat.I have hunted Yellow River WMA by foot and saw deer and hog sign but didn't get one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a older bow you can have .
Darn, I already picked on up - oh well, But I thank you for the offer. Very generous.

I did check out an area of escambia river on the east side today... well tried to. seems like every road my gps tries sending me down is blocked by a gate (private club land). And the road was washed out a mile or so from my destination.

I'm heading to blackwater tomorrow just to drive the roads a little bit and see what it's like. Google only helps so much.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well the club I"m in borders Escambia WMA off Of Quint. Rd. and your welcome to to get up with me and give it a try this year.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you decide to hunt. You defiantly have a challenge and 99% not gonna shoot a deer. You might see a few,mostly a fleeting glimpse as they wave goodbye. Deer have ears like radars that pivot and will pinpoint you, eyes second too none for picking out movement, a nose that will give you away from a far distance...if your going to stalk/foot hunt and then add a bow with a range of 20 to 30 yards just wandering around in the woods. Ha! P.S I hope you dont make me eat my words come hunting season, and stick a deer...it is possible, thats why I left that 1% for wiggle room.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like blackwater better than escambia. and sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Last year I didn't get anything using scent covers, showing up at my stand at 4 am, everything I could think of. showed up in street clothes at 10:00 am after season ended to remove my stand parked 20 yds away, slammed the car door, and walked up on an 8 point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good thing I don't plan on being successful - but you can't get lucky without trying.

Whats the difference between using a stand and staying on the ground? Deer don't look up?

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
If you've never shot a bow I would say it's too late unless you want to practice a lot before you go into the woods. A bow is not a gun and you can't just pick one up and shoot it despite what hollywood might tell you. If you can't hit a 3" target EVERY time at 20-30 yards I wouldn't even entertain the idea of going into the woods. The animal deserves a proficient hunter. Stands have two distinct advantages. 1. Deer seldom look up past 10' in a tree. I've found the higher I go up the more movement I can get away with. I've got arthritis and get fidgety after an hour or so on the stand. 22-25' seems to be high enough for a bit of movement, also deer are used to the sound of trees creaking and it doesn't seem to bother them. 2. When you are up that high your scent is way up in the air column. They may not get your scent until 100+ yards down wind. They'll circle around to find the source but won't find it.

Honestly if you've never shot a bow though I wouldn't even try it this year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
you should have plenty of time to practice and get your bow sighted in don't let that bother ya. You will know soon enought if your up to it of course it will be different shooting a target and drawing back on the real thing lol. Like I said your welcome to give me a shout and give it a shot at my place either during bow season or gun season.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its been a while but I did shoot a recurve over few years. Wae pretty good at 20-30 yards. But I do have work to do. Never used sites.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Tide Fan - I'll pm you

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
you should have plenty of time to practice and get your bow sighted in don't let that bother ya. You will know soon enought if your up to it of course it will be different shooting a target and drawing back on the real thing lol. Like I said your welcome to give me a shout and give it a shot at my place either during bow season or gun season.
OK, if you are at all proficiant with a recurve then a compound with sights will be pretty easy if you have good fundamentals. I would say depending on your skill level, a month or so of good practicing and you should be ok.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Heres some advice mate....PM Espo16 or Big Tess. Those dudes are straight up wanted assassins in this part of the Americas.

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
Maybe not in the rest of the country, but our deer definitely do look up into the trees. If you can kill one here, you can kill one anywhere.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
For bow season in this part of the Country, one "must-have" item is a good pair of snake boots. Until the weather drops below 50 degrees for a few days, there are rattlesnakes and water moccasin's all over the place. If you decide to hunt in a ladder or a climber, please wear a safety harness!

You might try getting a pop-up blind and a folding chair and hunting off the ground in Blackwater. Find a blind with shoot-thru mesh windows. Deer won't be able to see you, and you can get away with a lot more movement. Be patient, hunt the wind, and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Maybe not in the rest of the country, but our deer definitely do look up into the trees. If you can kill one here, you can kill one anywhere.
Ummm...the OP is long gone or an expert by now. Thread is 8 years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts