Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must not do drugs, must not have any substance abuse problems, willing to learn it MY WAY, enjoys life, family oriented, hard worker, reliable transportation, listens, communication skills, presentable to my guests, must sign a no compete clause in regards to catering, must be willing to work 7 days a week, must be money savvy with their own income and my bottom line, ummmm what else?

Since this person may or may not exist...i thought i would throw it out there...

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE WORK ETHIC AND WORK FORCE IN TODAYS YOUNG PEOPLE....

F'in idiots! Anyway I am venting...serious post though I am looking for someone that gives a damn...

205-915-6934
[email protected]

OH YEAH MUST NOT DO DRUGS!!!!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
chris saw the joke on the other forum and it explains it all..

People born before 1946 were called
The Silent generation....
- People born between 1946 and 1959 are called
The Baby Boomers.
- People born between 1960 and 1979 are called
Generation X,
- And people born between 1980 and 2010 are called
Generation Y,
Why do we call the last group Generation Y?
Y should I get a job?
Y should I leave home and find my own place?
Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?
Y should I clean my room?
Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?
Y should I buy any food?
But a cartoonist explained it very eloquently below....

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I HATE Cliche's , but "I'm in the same Boat" ... SO hard to find reliable help these days , that I don't have to hold their hands and show them everything TWICE :(

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Who wants to work 7 days a week? Be reasonable on what you are asking and you may have a better shot at finding someone. People with great skills are in high demand. Why would a person in high demand want to work 7 days a week? When they work, they should work their fingers to the bone. After they work, they should not think about work until next week. JMO

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i have a little 6T's method i use freq.... teeth, transportation, tools, t-shirt, trustworthy and trainable. good luck finding what you seek, because its the boogie man.

glad you are having so much success with your new location though, thats great to hear!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha spooney....if you only knew the business man if you only knew....maybe I should clarify you need to work all days of the week...oh and ask the Latin American population how they like working 7 days they will tell you to give em 8 and work em 18 hrs a day...that's the problem in a nutshell good reliable help requires a second language by the employer...

For those of you that don't know a chef knows he has to work the worst hours and lots of them when e signs on for the career...I mean it would be like military getting pissed for being shot at! If you ain't in the business or don't have something positive or insightful to say get the hell off my post!!!

And thanks omega??!! I'm impressed with your kindness!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Must not do drugs, must not have any substance abuse problems, willing to learn it MY WAY, enjoys life, family oriented, hard worker, reliable transportation, listens, communication skills, presentable to my guests, must sign a no compete clause in regards to catering, must be willing to work 7 days a week, must be money savvy with their own income and my bottom line, ummmm what else?

Since this person may or may not exist...i thought i would throw it out there...

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE WORK ETHIC AND WORK FORCE IN TODAYS YOUNG PEOPLE....

F'in idiots! Anyway I am venting...serious post though I am looking for someone that gives a damn...

205-915-6934
[email protected]

OH YEAH MUST NOT DO DRUGS!!!!
Just for general "insightful" purposes, what is the compensation, incentive? That is usually addressed in an ad for a professional position.

Also the tone of your ad will most likely sour any potential employee. Perhaps rant in one post and advertise in another (insight). Good luck...

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Ha spooney....if you only knew the business man if you only knew....maybe I should clarify you need to work all days of the week...oh and ask the Latin American population how they like working 7 days they will tell you to give em 8 and work em 18 hrs a day...that's the problem in a nutshell good reliable help requires a second language by the employer...

For those of you that don't know a chef knows he has to work the worst hours and lots of them when e signs on for the career...I mean it would be like military getting pissed for being shot at! If you ain't in the business or don't have something positive or insightful to say get the hell off my post!!!

And thanks omega??!! I'm impressed with your kindness!
I know exactly what a chef does. A few of my closest friends are chefs and one is going back to school right now because he is tired of working all the time for such crappy pay. My advice to you was meant to be helpful. You can't find what you are looking for because you are asking for too much. Give the guy some time off to be with his family and you can get a great employee. Best of Luck to you.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I'll through I plug in for Badazzchef. Worked for him for 2 years maybe a little more. GREAT guy to work for. He doesn't judge folks on what they do OFF the job but he expects perfoance ON the job. What is wrong with that?

When he says I need you there at 1 pm he doesn't mean 1:05. He works on a timeline that is tight and it has to be in his line of work. Chris also pays pretty good and that doesn't include all the bennies that the man can pull-off for you.

Any chef will be able to learn under this guy also. I watch kitchen nightmares and just laugh at the stuff Gordon talks about. Chris has explained all that to me when I worked for him.

He knows his stuff and I might add, not a bad cook!! ( lol )

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
lets see if you making 15bucks an hour X 8hrs a day=120bucks x 7days a week=840bucks. Then minus taxes and never being home and seeing the family equals problems. Family is more important than work and the employer should understand that if you want happy employees that will STICK around. Even the whole 6day work week thing sux if you ask me. Whats the weekend for, lawyers and doctors?
I've said all along, were turning into a society of fire ants, all working for the queen, while someone is trying to get rid of us......

Rock on
BillD

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i dont think it really has anything to do with the line of work. the chef/kitchen part is just a ________. I think what he was expressing is what any passionate entrepreneur would express. this place/concept is his baby. its his life. he probably thinks about it all day, all night. probably took God knows what to get the cash, the concept details/planning, etc etc and get the thing opened. it hasnt even been opened a year so although it sounds like it is doing great, its in its infancy stage and is extremely vulnerable. ESPECIALLY in this economy, then multiply that times the third exponent factoring in he is in the restaurant biz. 40% of all small businesses fail and go out of business in their first year. then the next year 40% of that surviving 20% go out of business.

its just a matter of being on the other side of the desk and trying to build something from nothing, and at a time when folks are dropping off like flies....excuse the gentleman if he expects nothing less than perfection from a lead man. im sure he will go to hell before he lets some drug addict, pill head, lazy, smart ass, unreliable, know it all, shady, sticky fingered POS come in his 'baby' and even have an opportunity to serve a single sub par dish, piss of a single customer, or otherwise bring negativity or drama to his place of business. it will happen of course, no ones perfect. but as the owner/boss, you always atleast strive for the perfection. its called giving a F&@#..... if your looking for 30 bucks an hour with benefits and M-F, 10-5. maybe even a 401k matched dollar for dollar, i doubt this post even pertained to you because you work at Charles Schwab or something.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
lets see if you making 15bucks an hour X 8hrs a day=120bucks x 7days a week=840bucks. Then minus taxes and never being home and seeing the family equals problems. Family is more important than work and the employer should understand that if you want happy employees that will STICK around. Even the whole 6day work week thing sux if you ask me. Whats the weekend for, lawyers and doctors?
I've said all along, were turning into a society of fire ants, all working for the queen, while someone is trying to get rid of us......

Rock on
BillD
From the days of the Pilgrams we have worked for someone. Just don't understand the concept of what you posted.

Divorce is because it wasn't true love, not because you are gone and may not make a lot of money. Them are excuses not reasons.

·
Registered
337 Posts
thats a good one ill have to remember it !!!!
good luck Chris... and im sure he doesnt mean working 7 days a week. just the willnigness to be able to work any given day of the week. He is running a rest. and catering biz...

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Bravo for the post

I have anyone I hire read a book.
"A Letter to Garcia".
Pretty much sums up the post.
Read it. It is available on the net for free.
I have everyone initial a hardback copy when they sign on.
Come to think of it, it will now be a part of their annual review.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have just laid down after getting my messages to Garcia and I tell ya hhorgan that was quite a read as I rest my twitching body...I think it should be in every employee handbook in America...thank you for summing the post in this manner! Folks my messenger in my business te one I count count on to deliver te message to Garcia interestingly enough is a legal immigrant here to better his life. He has a family and he cares...but he thrives to do a good job and work as much as he can to get a piece of the American Dream...you see folks it's really not that hard to get a piece of the pie...we are a society of lazy Americans that leavethe pie lying around for the hungry...the ones with heart and courage to pull themselves up by the bootstrap and get out and work make a comfortable living...I'm glad that folks can still work 9-5 m-f and make a living...y'all are fortunate! But then I think of much more educated professional careers bs the requirements of that said career...show me a doctor that works such simple hours....show me the lawyer that is not at his clients aid at the drop of a hat...show me the minister not at the bedside of the sick and weary....Ahh hell I'm rambling...by the way Rodney Murphee aka DEEPLINES would get the letter to Garcia...my wife would get the letter to Garcia....I know I would to...

I'll discuss privately the compensation potential to the right person...in person

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Interesting Read.

I try my best, and make every effort to be upbeat and positive about all things that I can, but our society has become much weaker and lazy as a whole. Work ethic is something that is taught as well as learned from a very early age and mostly developed at home. The number of times that I have heard my two boys say, "Nobody else has to do this............", is a huge number. I normally reply that if they will keep up with what they have/will learned at home they will both have much less competition in the private sector than I faced, as current society just does not prepare our young ones as well society did years ago.

There is a much large issue than "Work Ethic" in our society and it is Integrity. It seems to be normal now to take the easiest, cheapest, free, or whatever is best for me route to so many people. Long ago people had much more integrity than to make an effort to get something for nothing or something for as little as possible. It seems to be everywhere.

Not long ago I ran into a guy that used to work in a tackle shop that I frequent, and I asked him why he quit the tackle shop? He replied that he did so well on his BP Claim that he felt he was wasting his time working in a tackle store, and he should be doing something with his wealth instead of working in a job that he felt was beneath him.

It is not just the work force that lacks Integrity, Society at all levels seems to have lost much of the Integrity that made our country great.

I know of a person that was quick to file a BP Claim, got what he/she could. Then forclosed their home and opened a business, and they wonder why I will not be seen in their business???????

Look at all the frivolous lawsuits that run rampent in our courtrooms, it's unreal.

If you say your gonna do something, then do it. If you fail or make a mistake, admit it, own it and do better next time. If you can help someone else, do it and you will be paid back over and over again.

Again, Interesting Read.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts