Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at different platforms for a .308 build. I'm a big fan of sako rifles, Remington 700, possibly others. Would also entertain just the action. Basically seeing what's out there before I go the retailer route. I have looked at the model 700sps, the tikka tactical, and several others. Although I have not made my mind up I can't see me going wrong with a Remington 700 with a nice heavy barrel. What ya got? Opinions welcome! I don't wanna be pissing into the wind and wasting money;)

·
Super Moderator
12,800 Posts
You know my opinion... tikka t3 light, made by Sako...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know my opinion... tikka t3 light, made by Sako...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Needs to be tactical bull barrel threaded would save me the trouble also.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The top gun is a 700 5R 20" threaded, stainless, coated fluted barrel, 1/11. Timney trigger. HS Precision stock and tactical knob. Has a Thunderbeast Ultra brake on it. Still have the thread protector too. Sold without the can, glass or bipod. Approx 120 rds down the tube. Have some Lapua brass too. $950.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Where? I am in need of one.
There a guy up in Indiana that I vouch for that has great prices on alot of guns but not all. He's got it listed for $580 unfortunately the Remington $150 rebate just ended a couple days ago. That's what would put it at $430. $580 is still a decent price but that rebate made it great. I just bought the 700 Long Range in 300 winmag for $425. Insane price.

https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/bolt-action-remington-firearms-700-047700843773

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just saw that Remington started a new rebate on the 1st. $75 so you will get it for $505 not $430. Pretty good for that model. If you want it I can help you get with Nate, the owner of the company. Let me know.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look into Howa they have a nicer action and shoot Sub MOA and they are cheaper
I long ago bought a Remington. If I had a Howa, and one bullet I would throw both gun and bullet and take my chances running than with shooting a howa... I wouldn’t feel safe clubbing a baby squirreL with a howa.....

·
Registered
732 Posts
Looking at different platforms for a .308 build. I'm a big fan of sako rifles, Remington 700, possibly others. Would also entertain just the action. Basically seeing what's out there before I go the retailer route. I have looked at the model 700sps, the tikka tactical, and several others. Although I have not made my mind up I can't see me going wrong with a Remington 700 with a nice heavy barrel. What ya got? Opinions welcome! I don't wanna be pissing into the wind and wasting money;)
If you are building a "long range rig" I would reccomend having a custom rifle build for you. But on the other end if I was buying a dual purpose factory .308 it would be a Bergara B 14 HMR. I think they run for about $900. Very accurate rifles and they are easy on they eyes.

And IMO Howa are built with a high QC than a Remington. Over the last decade Remington has gone to shit and there are way to many better options for the same as what you can get any Remington model for. Now if you are going to build I would build off a "remington style" action because of all the after market parts and every gunsmith knows the Remington 700 footprint.

http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_hmr_hunting_and_match_rifle.php

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I long ago bought a Remington. If I had a Howa, and one bullet I would throw both gun and bullet and take my chances running than with shooting a howa... I wouldn’t feel safe clubbing a baby squirreL with a howa.....
I am curious as to why you say that?

They have a better action then a remington. they are more acurate then all but the top of the line remingtons and even to top remingtons anr no more acurate. Every Howa shoots sub moa or you get your money back! you cant say that about the remingtons. and you can get just about every accessorie for the Howa that you can for remingtons now. and lets not forget they have a better trigger and they dont fire when you take the safty off like some remingtons tended to do.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Have you owned a Howa? Or a Weatherby Vanguard?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts