Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a small platform fer my sled big enough fer 1-2 folks on the front of my boat. Nothing real heavy and thick...

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,725 Posts
Find the aluminum flux core wire first. Unless you got a bottle.

I remember someone on this forum had built some out of PVC.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I bought some material from Signs Galore that they used to build outdoor signs. Replaced all of the wood in my boat with it. Cheaper and as sturdy as aluminum.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Merridith by Gulf Breeze Zoo has aluminum angle and tube. Sometime they have pieces in various lengths discounted.

·
Super Moderator
28,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought some material from Signs Galore that they used to build outdoor signs. Replaced all of the wood in my boat with it. Cheaper and as sturdy as aluminum.
What is the material made of? I was looking fer aluminum since I have an aluminum welding gun fer my mig welder...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Jason, i use aluminum conduit most of the time because i'm right around the corner from a wholesale elec supply. if it's pipe you need, you might give a elec suppy co a call.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Jason if you are in Andalusia much you might stop by Pugh and Son's Scrapyard on Hwy 55 south. It is kind of hit and miss, but he often has a lot of aluminum scrap from some of the local aircraft and automotive fab shops including conduit and structural stock. Usually around $1.00/lb. Make sure you brings some gloves.;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Find the AL flux core wire first. You're gonna be disappointed.
Interesting. I don’t know they even made flux core wore for AL.
Are you suggesting using the flux core because he is talking about using conduit which is likely galvy AL?
I was thinking about getting a spool gun for my MP Welder but I may order some flux AL wire and play with it.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,725 Posts
As far as I know, there's no such thing. He still hasn't said if he's got/gonna get gas.
You can Google AL flux core wire and images will show up but read the fine print.

·
Super Moderator
28,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jason if you are in Andalusia much you might stop by Pugh and Son's Scrapyard on Hwy 55 south. It is kind of hit and miss, but he often has a lot of aluminum scrap from some of the local aircraft and automotive fab shops including conduit and structural stock. Usually around $1.00/lb. Make sure you brings some gloves.;)
Good ta know....gonna check em out!!!!

As far as I know, there's no such thing. He still hasn't said if he's got/gonna get gas.
You can Google AL flux core wire and images will show up but read the fine print.
Yeah still ain't gotta gas bottle yet!!!! Not sure what spool came with my gun so its called learning...hahaha

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If you have never tried to weld aluminium the most important tip I can give you is that it has to be clean. Not just free of dirt, but sanded to remove the oxidation layer. That means the inside of the pipe to. When I TIG weld it I sand the end and mating surface with 220 grit and dip it in aluminum brightener right before I start. Never use a ferrous steel wire brush either, only a stainless steel one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
aluminum conduit is 4340(i think that's the number) pretty high grade stuff.and very bendable. i've been building boat furniture for years using this stuff. there's no such thing as flux core aluminum wire. aluminum has to be welded gas shield except for a stick rod procedure which isn't a reliable technique.

·
Super Moderator
28,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd say read the instructions that came with the welding machine but I'm sure you already did that.
Instructions? I don't need no stinkin' directions!!! Hahaha

·
Registered
460 Posts
There is a big metal and Aluminum supply house behind the old Town & Country on the side street that runs between Pace Blvd and Palofox. I wish I could remember thier name. It might be Town & Country Metal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts