Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
traveling saltwater nut
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for scope recommendations for a 300 r.u.m. browning Abolt.
want something higher magnification to take advantage of the reach of this bad boy. and something super tough that will take the recoil better than me.

i am thinking 20 to 24 on the max.

budget is under $1k

fire away.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,579 Posts
What is your primary use, hunting or target?
Do you have any brand preferences?
Objective size?
Which focal plane?
Side focus?
Turret types?
MOA or MRAD?
Is a fixed power an option, e.g. 10X?

You really have to give us more to make an informed suggestion, there are just too many options out there.

·
traveling saltwater nut
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
want focus on hunting. i will do some target shooting with it but at $60 a box of ammo it aint exactly a plinker.lol

·
2,579 Posts
want focus on hunting. i will do some target shooting with it but at $60 a box of ammo it aint exactly a plinker.lol
I would buy one box of cartridges only when I needed new brass... That's cause I'd be reloading for that SOB. :yes:

·
2,579 Posts
So what are you going to be practicing making these 'long range' shots with, a different rifle, scope and caliber? :001_huh:

·
traveling saltwater nut
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i missed your other questions in your reply. would like 50mm objective. 30mm tube. moa. side focus. not to picky on turrents.
mildot or some other marked crosshairs to make hold over easy.

max hunting shot would be 500yds. where i can use the reticle for hold over. as for targets maybe once or twice a year might do 900yds on my friends powerline.

i guess some people would not consider that long range. its not 1500yd mountain elk shots. but compared to the 4x scope 30-30 i hunted with for years its out there for me.

i shoot to 300yds with my ars with a 16x max power scope. have taken several deer at that range. i prefer higher magnification as i feel i can see any movement better.

·
2,579 Posts
Reactions: skiffdude

·
traveling saltwater nut
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
much like a woman picking a place to eat i cant tell you exactly what i want because i dont know myself.lol

i like that vortex. how do they stack up to a leupold or zeiss?

·
2,579 Posts
They are a match for most anything in their price range.

Reactions: skiffdude

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I would suggest mounting a 20 MOA base to your rifle no matter what scope you decide on. It will help in keeping your elevation knob from being turned
up to its limit or close to on long shots.
The 30mm tube has more adjustment range than the 1 inch also...The tactical guys are even using 34mm tube because of this feature....
I have 2 zeiss conquest 6.5 x 20 x50mm one with tactical knobs one without
that would work well on your gun. PM me if you are interested in purchasing
one or both,lol.....What brand rifle is your

·
Super Moderator
7,097 Posts
I just bought a Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 for a 6.5CM I am tinkering with. Might fit the bill for ya with the various reticle choices.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have never had a Zeiss scope, but I went to Vortex after trying out several Leupolds. The glass is terrific and it holds zero very well.

·
2,579 Posts
Zeiss is great glass.
However there are no models with magnification that you desire that will fit your budget.
The ones in your budget are 4-16x44 or 3-12x56.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If you do Facebook, join the group "Rifle Scope Trader RST" there are tons of deals fromblonh range shooters across the country. More high end optics for sale on there than any other forum/venue I know of. Plenty if deals too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
traveling saltwater nut
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here she is. a browning white gold medallion A bolt.
got her by doing some horse trading. i have wanted a big magnum like a weatherby for awhile. so i jumped at the chance to get this beast. only got a 9x scope on here right now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts