Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I managed to get out fishing for a few hours after work, and since I only had a few hours until sundown I elected to hit some of the closer public reefs to catch (and probably release)some snapper and amberjack. Specifically I went to the pcola bridge rubble and my trusty GPS led the. I got the "arriving at..." notice and nothing showed on the depth finder. I motored around and still nada. 75 feet of flat bottom with no fish marking there. Since I only had an hour to fish I said screw it and drifted through the areaanyways and still nothing that would look like a pile of rubble was dropped in the area. I decided to make a quick run to a much easier target to find, and I made the short run to the oops barge. Again, nothing but flat, flat sea bottom. I ended up making the run of shame back to the docks.

What the heck is going on? Were these two reefs moved, destroyed bystorms, abducted by aliens or did I have the wrong numbers???The numbers I have for them are

Bridge rubble 30 14.345 87 11.998'

Oops barge 30 13.113' 87 13.813'

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you just trust the numbers and hope your GPS's g-dop is only off by a few feet? Are there any other public wrecks that are destroyed as well? Fishing time is hard to come by and I'd hate to go on a wild goose chase looking for some reef that was pulverised years ago.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the help, I saved that spreadsheet of numbers and even was able to do some formula crunching and calculated the distancesfrom the pass so you can get an instant idea of how close/far the run is.

I got the numbers off of one of those captain seagull's charts so I don't think they are converted LORAN numbers but thats good to keep in mind. Thanks again guys!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.