Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck now or in the past locating fish in the sound between FWB and Navarre this time of year through February when the water is this cold or colder. The water is probably 60 degrees or less now and much clearer too, making the fish harder to locate and presumably more skittish once you do.

With all the reds and trout heading to the rivers that enter the bays, is there anything left to fish for in the Sound? Last year I caught a few slot reds on December 2nd, but the water wasn't quite this cold yet then.

·
Registered
428 Posts
you can find some good sheepheads. try finding deep holes on the south side of the sound. i know a few spots that are 20+ ft. holes and they tend to hold some stud sheepies

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Fishing in Co;d Weather

The posters are correct in seeking the deep holes.

Another thing is to fish the mud flats during sunny days.

The fish like to go there to soak up some rays. C2

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably should have stated that I have trout and reds in mind...My thought process has always been that if they're anywhere in the sound, they're in the deep holes. I don't doubt that the sheepshead are present. They seem to be a bit less of a mystery as I do know of some oyster covered rocks, pilings, and docks reaching into 8-12' of water. I even snorkeled some neighboring docks in February last year and confirmed they're there. brrrr

I do know of some of the deep areas both to the north and to the south of the marked channel some of them are quite vast and not like an isolated hole or dip. As far as dark or muddy bottom, I think that's a bit tough to find in this section of the sound where there are only few very small, shallow creeks that enter... nothing like the rivers that feed our bays and dump mud or dark sediment.

I'm assuming the majority of the trout migrate to the rivers, smaller reds too, and the big reds head for the gulf. Do you guys think any reds and trout would be present through the winter in those deep holes or the channel itself or do they ALL take a vacation elsewhere for a few months. Anyone ever have much luck with trout in the sound in the middle of winter?

h2o4u----> Fishing pressure is heaviest around the two bridges and Hurlburt, but its not really that heavy and other parts of this section of the sound get only light pressure even in the peak seasons. At night, I rarely see many boats go by, though I did have a surprise once at 2am from some Hurlburt guys paddling kayaks back from Juana's in Navarre.

·
Paid Member
682 Posts
Thats funny about the Hurlburt guys heading back from Juana's!

I would think if the deeper holes (15 to 20 ft.) are of decent size, there would remain a decent population of fish throughout the winter. Most winters are short lived and rather mild, so I'm thinking they could manage....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts