Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Newbie Inshore Fisherman
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many posts for the inshore fishing. I'm taking my family and nieces and nephews fishing. It looks like live Shrimp is the very best bait for rookies to use. I have bought a minnow trap, and also have gotten good at using my cast net. I assume I'd just put my minnow trap out by the pier with bread in it.

Would there be any point in going through the trouble of the cast net or the minnow trap if I can get live Shrimp? Does anyone have any experience with mullet or Pinfish or bull minnows or other small bait fish working better than live Shrimp?

In the morning, does walking the dog with a mirrolure ever work better than a live shrimp? I understand it would be more sporting and fun to catch on an artificial, but I'm just looking to get a few in the boat.

I guess on the same subject, if I can't find live bait what would y'all suggest as my second option? Whatever I can catch live, or almost fresh shrimp?

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Live shrimp is the best for action IMHO. You will lose quite a few to pinfish and crabs.
Bull minnows are hardier, last longer, and still catch fish. Not so many pinfish.

Finger mullet can be cast-netted. Most any small white-bait or pinfish can be cast netted in the grass. You can chum them up with wet cat food to concentrate them.

I prefer to fish hard baits, especially topwater but the action is slower until POW!!!

·
VIP of the PFF
8,532 Posts
Artificial baits can be just as effective as live shrimp or better. Going with the artificial baits , you will cut out most of the trash fish such as pinfish, catfish, stingrays, etc etc. Which leaves you with more time to fish for specks and reds.

·
Newbie Inshore Fisherman
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Sail Cats... I've heard that they can be eaten. Being edible is one thing, but do they taste any good?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I keep frozen squid in bait freezer for unplanned impulse fishing... I have caught specs, redfish, croaker, black drum... and some misc. pinfish etc................. I prefer the live shrimp...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts