Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newto Cobia fishing but they are obviously here and I just got the tower on my boat. When rigging live eels is it best to use a J hook or a circle?What is the best size?Is it best to use just a single or treble hook through thenose or is a tandem hook rig better? Also I've tried them once before and they are hard to throw, is it best to put an egg sinker on the main line to make casting easier? Any other tips would be greatly apperciated!

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
They are easier to throw with a longer rod (8-9ft) with a relatively soft tip. I personally like to use circle hooks but its a matter of preference and I'm sure you will see that everyone has their favorites. Its best to fish them weightless but if you are going to throw one with added weight I recommend a 2 oz or so bucktail jig with the eel hooked through the lips. This combo is also a cobe killer on shallow wrecks and rigs when worked through the water column with either a live or dead eel. DON'T THROW OUT YOUR DEAD EELS!!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have tried J hooks, circle hooks, etc.. over the last 35 years of cobia fishing and have had better luck with a 2/0-3/0 4x strong treble hook.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Owner Mutu light wire 5/0 or 6/0 depending on eel size. Use a 6-10" 50lb florocabon leader, and the smallest 100lb+ stainless snap swivel you can find.

And snell the hook!

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
xyzzy (4/7/2010)Owner Mutu light wire 5/0 or 6/0 depending on eel size. And snell the hook!
I agree with the Mutu light but I use a loop knot to attach my hook. All a matter of preference

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
xyzzy (4/7/2010)Don't use a loop. The offset circle hooks are specifically designed to be snelled.
The Mutu light is not offset in the manner you describe. The "offset" hooks you describe as being made to snell have an offset eye, not an offset bend in the hook. The Mutu light can be rigged either way since the eye isn't offset. I use them for YFT's, AJ's, etc, etc........the loop is just as strong and allows the bait to swim more freely.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Berkley Gulp "live" eels 10" on a 1 oz. jig... bait shops have small eels so far thisyear:banghead mutu light circle hooks 6/0 or 7/0.. big pin fish good.. also I do crimp hooks on which forms a loop seems to help for us with circle hook sets ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts