Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help on getting live bait for my next offshore trip. Typically use pinfish traps off my dock but getting very few pinfish as too early in the season. Have also caught finger mullet with a throw net but again, very few to be had off the dock or along the shore in the sound. Last week tried sabiki for cigs in the pass at sun up but no luck.

Any suggestions / advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had a surprising number of pins show up for the traps for this early in the year. I set mine out first thing in the morning and then empty and re-bait in the mid afternoon the day prior. That way you get a nearly 24 hr soak. i have seen about the same numbers during the day as at night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go to the mass or to local shallow reefs. Tip your sabikis with a little squid and you should be in business.
Thanks! That is the technique I use at the Three Barges to get ruby lips which are quite plentiful. I’m actually going to target scamp on my next trip as it opens up on April 1st. Unfortunately, based on my experience, scamp aren’t big fans of ruby lips. I should have been more specific in my post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boat-Dude: Thanks for your reply. I have been following your Spanish sardine / cigar minnow thread. About a month ago I got into them real thick late in the afternoon (as you show in your post) when the tide and wind was just right.

Last few times I went out, couldn’t find any action except for one small school that was moving fast and was easily spooked so couldn’t get near them to throw the sabiki. I saw three other boats try as well but no luck.

What’s your experience as to the conditions where they school up? Generally like to catch bait at first light / sun up when heading out of the pass.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had a surprising number of pins show up for the traps for this early in the year. I set mine out first thing in the morning and then empty and re-bait in the mid afternoon the day prior. That way you get a nearly 24 hr soak. i have seen about the same numbers during the day as at night.
Summers, Thanks for the reply. I had a similar experience two weeks ago. Surprisingly caught about 30 nice size pinfish with traps off the dock. Thought the live bait problem was solved just in time for scamp opening up. Since then, nothing!

What are you using for bait in the traps?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks! That is the technique I use at the Three Barges to get ruby lips which are quite plentiful. I’m actually going to target scamp on my next trip as it opens up on April 1st. Unfortunately, based on my experience, scamp aren’t big fans of ruby lips. I should have been more specific in my post.
I get hard tails, cigars, ruby's and pinfish at the mass...if one area is giving you just one type of bait, move your boat a hundred feet or so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get hard tails, cigars, ruby's and pinfish at the mass...if one area is giving you just one type of bait, move your boat a hundred feet or so.
Photo: Thanks for the additional info. I haven’t tried the Mass for bait in quite awhile so will give it a try next trip. Will put some squid on as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Live bait update: Went out on Wednesday to get live bait for an offshore trip on Thursday.

Started out by dropping two pinfish traps with canned cat food in deeper water off of some docks east of Shoreline park. Then headed to the pass to try and sabiki some bait as suggested by Boat-Dude and photofishin.

About 1 mile east of the pass in the bay there was a big rip that birds were hitting. Stopped and sabikied while drifting it about 10 times. Caught about 30 big elwy type bait. No Spanish sardines but happy to have something in the live well.

Next got into the pass. Bait was marking at the edge of the Ft Pickens point. Current was ripping so decided to go to the Mass first and hit this spot on the way back if needed (didn’t need to).

Got to the Mass and tried the buoy. Nothing. Got over the south edge of Mass and immediately caught two cigs on the bottom. Dropped the Rhodan down and easily caught about 30 cigs and a few elwy. Left them biting as had what I needed.

On the way back to the dock, I stopped by the pinfish traps and was pleased to see that I had about 20 pinfish. Decided to leave them there overnight and pick them up in the morning on the way out.

Thanks guys for the advice on getting live bait this time of year. As you can see, it was very helpful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts