Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading south with my yak for the second trip. I will be staying on the intercostal this time (was on the beach in early August). I would love to have a shot at reds, flounder, trout, etc. I have a few gotcha lures... Plan on getting shrimp. Are there better baits?

Do I need to do anything special to rig the lure or shrimp? Mono leader or wire?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Adam

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the 3 inch gulps on a jig head. Allows me to cover more area. I catch more redfish and flounder with them but have caught a few trout as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but do you rig the gulp shrimp thru the tail like you would a crawfish? Or do you hook it thru the head, I've never seen a shrimp swim.

·
Registered
285 Posts
On a jig head I hook it through the head thread it through the body and out the top of the body. I only hook mine backwards on a jika style rig, which works pretty well. I've seen people hook them through the tail on a jig gead though. Gulp is an awesome bait and you can rig it any way you prefer. Trial and error. You'll find which color/s work best for you and which style to rig them.

Shrimp walk forwards on their feet upright and they swim by snapping which causes them to move in a more reverse/backwards direction.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Avoid leaders if you can. Species like red and specks don't have the teeth of a Spanish. They can be skittish around a leader too. Shrimp is about as good as it gets in live bait. You just have to expect pinfish and the likes to steal some of your bait. Gotta see where the fish are in the water column to feel out the rigging. Popping cork (Cajun Thunder) or free lined are a good start.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff guys... Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated. I will let you know how I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts