Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need alittle advice from boat captains chasing cobia, I have caught my fair share, but only when they are hungry,aggressive, and seen readily, but when I come up on them spook them, I can never seem to find them again. What's the best way to persue these skiddish fish, wait?,do they go deep, offshore, inshore, or forget it and keep on moving(usually my choice):blush:

Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
go real slow heading east,2 or 3 mph.. if you run over one cast out the back before turning boat...fish are going west after all.. go 6to 8 mph heading west.. don't rev engine.. if he goes down head a couple hundred yards west.. :bpts sit & wait for him to pop up again.. seem to do better since repower with 4 strokes.. quieter ?green mirror costa del mar glasses.. sun at your back.. try alittle deeper like 40 to 50 ft.. fish on the bar are spookier.. been casted at already ?? forget west wind days..

·
Registered
533 Posts
We have always eased a few 100 yards west and set up shop for a few minutes (neutral). You will often get a second and third shot. I would say that a good majority of the time the fish seem to spook inshore a bit, especially when out deep. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that we typically set up with them between us and the beach on the initial cast...either way, it makes them a bit easier to find when they pop back up. Definitely have a live eel at the ready in these situations.

·
Registered
209 Posts
probably 400 boat captains on here and ur not going to get the same answer from them.some do one thing and some do the other ,in the almost 60 years of chasing them most of the time the fish will go off shore , about 95% of the time. everybody fishs different , but i always tried to hook a fish up on the off shore side that way when it takes off it dont run under the boat .i better quit before i get all excited about cobia fishing .

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Great info. Although not my post I definitely appreciate all the tips. Thank you.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
atlast740 (1/27/2010)probably 400 boat captains on here and ur not going to get the same answer from them.some do one thing and some do the other ,in the almost 60 years of chasing them most of the time the fish will go off shore , about 95% of the time. everybody fishs different , but i always tried to hook a fish up on the off shore side that way when it takes off it dont run under the boat .i better quit before i get all excited about cobia fishing .

You're always excited about cobia fishing, who are you trying to kid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts