Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well there's a lot to discuss. First we got to get you on some fish, then we can fine tune your efforts.

For big Bull Reds- use a large spinning rod with plenty of new 20 or 25# test.

Terminal tackle- I use 24-30" leadermade with50 or 60# mono line. Not sure the size, but I use a 'medium' size long shank J hook. You can also use a circle hook. Depending on the current, I'll use 2-4 oz pyramid weight that slides between the leader and line. This is known as a 'Carolina rig'. see pic

Make a rig like the one above. I like the pyramid weights b/c they don't roll around if the waves are rough. But I also use slide weights as well.

For bait- you can pretty much use anything that's fresh but smelly. No jokes please! Try to use what is around as this is what the Reds are feeding on. I like to use live bait- either a pinfish or pigfish. A chunk of Ladyfish works well, so does cut Mullet, Menhaden, Jack and even whole Blue Crab.

Right now the Big Reds aren't in big schools like you'll see in a month and throughout winter. Since your landlocked, go to the T-Pier in Gulf Breeze, Bob Sikes Beach side or any other strip of rocks and sand that looks like it would attract fish.

You asked about tides- an in-coming tide is best. And even better if its a heavy tide. Last night was great- an all night incoming tide that was like 2 1/2 ft above normal. Always catch the tides moving. Slack/dead tide means no fish!

Throw the rig out as far as you can cast and wait. A pvc rod holder in the sand works great and the piers you can just set the rod down witha looseneddrag.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
T-pier is the South East side of the 3 mile bridge. Before you get into Gulf Breeze, get in the left lane. As soon as you get off bridge, it's immediately left. Cross the road and you'll see picnic tables. Follow to end and you'll see it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.