Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Lithium trolling motor batteries

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Bluecape 
#1 ·
Getting close to time to replace my lead acid batteries and looking for experience, recommendations on Lithium's. I tried the search function and got rc car stuff.

#2 ·
I've got a single 24 volt for my setup, you could do a single 36v too if that's what you had. I love mine, the biggest hurdle is the charging setup b/c you have to charge them at the same voltage and the chargers tend to get really hot. Not great for the bilge or console of a boat. I went with a setup that will charge mine on the run or I can plug in if needed b/c I keep my boat at Harborview. Haven't had to plug in one time.

I bought mine at Monster Marine Lithium online, but get with Chris Phillips with Hot Spots, he is selling them now I belive and he has the chargers and knowledge.

#4 ·
I’m running a Ionic brand 36v lithium and charger and love it. I’d buy it again right now. No comparison to lead acid batteries. I can usually fish 3 times before recharging. The bluetooth feature is a big plus also. All your battery info at the click of a button. Cycles, charge time, run time, amp draw. Everything..

#6 · (Edited)
Purchased a single 36V 60 Amp Lithium battery for my TM from LBP (https://www.lithiumbatterypower.com/). Also got their Lithium 36V 20 Amp charger and Victron BVM-712 Smart Guage (to monitor power consumption). Had Wills Marine install all equipment. Get two full days on the Gulf before I need to recharge (about three hours). Did much research before the purchase and am completly satisfied with my set up. LPB was technically helpful and was customer focused.

#9 ·
I am intrigued with this post, because I have been thinking about this in recent months. I have a 36v trolling motor on my 23 ft NauticStar currently powered by 3 group 27 deep cycles, and have been curious how the performance and weight would be affected. Appreciate the input so far. Wonder what Bobby (X-Shark) has to say, maybe he'll weigh in as well.

Reactions: Corpsman
#10 ·
I've installed a few.....I've heard no complaints. Only a few due to price shock for most folks. A custom tray has to be built, due to the non standard size. As JPwalnuthill said.....The Newest Noco chargers have a charger that claims it will charge them......I've install several of those new chargers....but not hooked to Lithium batteries.

#14 ·
So after buying 24v set up including the charger I’m at about $12-1300.00. Why would I want to spend 4 times as much on Lithium as Lead Acid? Somebody sell me on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Less weight, less space occupied, longer run time and more life cycles was my reasoning.
I’m not sure what you bought for lead acid but I only have around $1500 (from memory) in my lithium battery and charger combined. Total cost. It’s close to a year old and I have somewhere around 12 cycles on it. I should get between 3000-5000 in its lifetime.

For me, at this point, a year after purchase, I wouldn’t even consider lead acid batteries for a trolling motor.

Another nice perk to the lithium is no voltage drop during cycle. At full 100% charge my battery is around
38-39 volts and at 5% charge it is still kicking out 38-39volts. Full power until dead.

#19 ·
I have had my 36 volt Lithium Pro battery for three years. Only had to charge it one time when I forgot to trip the breaker. I have mine wired with a 12volt charger that feeds off one of my outboards. I never shut my motors off when I am offshore so it stays at full charge. Never ran out of power. I went with the lithium because it was lighter, took up less space and will outlast 3-4 sets of lead batteries. Mine is on a 31ft cape horn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.