Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone it has been a while since I have been active on here due to school. I have been involved with a small local start up called American Marine Research Company (AMRC) to design and build a drone to capture lionfish. We are still in the early stages of development due to almost all of us being full time students but we are finally at the point we are ready to go field test our drone. We are trying to get out on the water either this Friday or Saturday pending conditions but I was wanting to seek some advice before we blindly venture offshore. In the summer time it seems lionfish are everywhere but with it being winter what depth should we start at? Our plan at this point in time was to start with public wrecks and reefs in shallow water and slowly work our way out till we found some. However if anybody has any up to date info that would speed up this process it would be greatly appreciated. I am not trying to steal anyone's spots just a good starting depth if anybody has been catching any lately.
Thanks again,
Brian Arnold

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
I'd love to see the video. Ya'll got investors in the project?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Summer or winter doesn't seem to matter. Go to any artificial reef in 100ft or more and they will be there unless someone else was there 30 minutes before you got there.

They are on natural bottom too but it will be easier to mess with a "drone" on an artificial reef because you won't have to hunt around.

There are some on shallower stuff as well but 100ft is a good starting point.

I'm not a lionfish master but I do kill thousands of them per year so I have a reasonable level of experience to draw my advice from.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick Update,

We are testing our drone and mainly the controls a little more before we take it offshore and drop her down in the big pond. I appreciate the information from everyone! I will update yall on how testing goes!

In terms of investors: We are currently waiting to catch some lionfish to show proof of concept and finishing up the patent process before we start seeking investors. However that may be a possibility by mid spring.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Saw an article on you guys in the PNJ this morning. Looks like a neat concept. Are your plans to capture and retrieve or kill at depth? Not looking for any secrets, just trying to figure out how that drone is going to fit in many of the crevices the Lionfish hang out in.

·
Registered
13,674 Posts
Nice news article; I have often dreamed of a Lion fish killing machine.

Wish you guys the best; and know if y’all need help, please ask here; as the PFF is interested in killing Lion Fish.

They do taste great.
Many restaurants are supporting Lion Fish killers, in many ways; including adding them to their menu’s, like Bad Ass Chef

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the support guys! It means a lot!
The overall goal is to start a marine tech/hardware company in Pensacola. We are using the lionfish drone as a means to establish this vision. The drone is currently just RC by an operator on the boat and due to the tether we are currently limited to catching lionfish in more "open" areas.
Once we perfect this initial model the next goal will be to make it wireless and then semi autonomous to fully autonomous. (Still 5-10years Out)
The lionfish themselves will all be collected and will be resold to local restaurants to further support our work.
Furthermore, we will be collecting data on reef fish populations to possibly better help with regulations.
I'll be sure to keep you all informed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts