Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the Flora-Bama Yacht Club for helping to make a difference. While lionfish are delicious, they're labor-intensive to cook, and some restaurants we've talked with said they don't even want a lionfish on their property.

Establishing a commercial market for lionfish is the only practical way to mitigate the consequences of their invasion. Chef Chris, and the Flora-Bama Yacht Club are doing more than their fair share.

Please make an effort to stop by and thank Chef Chris Sherrill for his efforts and order a lionfish item from the menu. The Alabama and NW Florida Fisheries will thank you for it!

You can learn more about lionfish at the Gulf Coast Lionfish Coalition Facebook page, and website: http://www.gulfcoastlionfish.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
They just cook and serve it up whole ? No filets? I guess maybe theyre too small to worry with fileting but im not sure how appetizing it looks like that hah ! Still a great idea to help control the invasion !

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You can do it both ways. I filet them personally, but dishes like that have 'cool factor'. You know what you're eating and you know it's something special. Not your average tilapia or catfish.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fried whole minus the internals. They're trying to use every fish, but I'd say the average Pensacola lionfish is around 10", which is a little larger than the Gulf average, and I routinely stick fish in the 12-14 inch range.

I've not fried one whole yet, but the filets are great grilled or sauteed un a pan. To me, they taste like hogfish. Better than flounder, perhaps better than trigger.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
They just cook and serve it up whole ? No filets? I guess maybe theyre too small to worry with fileting but im not sure how appetizing it looks like that hah ! Still a great idea to help control the invasion !
Looks delicious to me, better than tiny filets. I bet the turnaround is faster, too. Great little restaurant.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Minus the scales also and guts I have fillet them and they are just like flounder next ones I get will be tried whole. Usually a fried whole has more flavor due the the bones being there and the sweet marrow gets in the flavor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have fried the filets and they turned out amazing, if a bit on the small size. I have also baked them in the oven. The lionfish seems to take on a great flavor profile no matter what seasoning you use on it. I hope to see it on menus being prepared by people with more imagination/talent than myself!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Comparing the lionfish to hog snapper definitely got my attention. Hog snappers are great!
Like the presentation - love to try one.

·
Videographer
1,735 Posts
When cooked whole - I just take my fork and pull the side open. The smaller fish do have some small bones along the top.....I just disregard that meat, and eat the plentiful meat along the sides and belly. The scales on the smaller fish are almost like ink....and most of them wash off while gutting. Awesome fish no matter how you prepare them!

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
This is great and most effective way to get rid of them. Start them off as a delicacy and the yuppies in New York will be paying $25.95 to have them on a fancy plate. Kind of like the Japanese on bluefins. You don't know what you're missing out on until it becomes the "in" thing. I may even come up with a "Lionfish Life" sticker and cash in on this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is great and most effective way to get rid of them. Start them off as a delicacy and the yuppies in New York will be paying $25.95 to have them on a fancy plate. Kind of like the Japanese on bluefins. You don't know what you're missing out on until it becomes the "in" thing. I may even come up with a "Lionfish Life" sticker and cash in on this.
Ask your favorite seafood restaurant why they're not serving lionfish. Seriously, you'll find a minimum of 30, and sometimes 100+ on a reef pyramid, and hundreds on some of the deeper wrecks in Pensacola. If we don't start getting serious about these things, there won't be any other choice at your favorite fried-shrimp shack. They eat anything that fits in their mouths (except each other) crabs, shrimp, lobster, flounder, and all the little fish that support healthy reefs, and normally feed aj's, snapper, grouper, etc.

·
Registered
779 Posts
:thumbup::( When the humans get a taste for a fish that LoinFish will be a dead! tasty! and bones! :notworthy::whistling::yes: there goes the problem with the over population of them, get the word out! eat more Chicken Opps I mean eat more LoinFish. :shifty::thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe they have value as landfill or cat food. Perhaps they could change the name of the species to "succulent horned scamp".
Lionfish are perhaps the best-tasting fish in the Gulf. I won't say they're better than cobia (which is really a steak ;-) ) but they're almost as good as hogfish raw, and about as good when cooked.

I think the problem is not people don't like eating them, but there's no economical way to catch them.
You're pretty much limited to spearfishers. The problem is that you won't have anything else to eat unless we do something about them ASAP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHbdEXJD748&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would think they would eat smaller live baits, because I know they are a pain to get to eat dead food in aquariums. Anyone try lighter rigs with small live baits for them?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts