Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever catch lionfish on the hook?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I tried feeding them hotdogs when diving in Guam. All the other fish including 4 foot Cudas loved it. The lionfish.. Nope. I had 2 in my aquarium that I caught and they died from not eating. I had live crabs and shrimp.

·
Registered
536 Posts
They are not docile when feeding. They are pretty aggressive when they see the little fish they want to eat, but they generally only eat live, small stuff. Never heard of one caught on hook and line here. I think it is not that common for people to drop 1 inch long live baits in 60 feet of water. I expect that if you were to drop a small live bait on the right reef it would happen if something else did not beat you to the little bait.
- Fisherdad1

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If I remember right, Bob Harbison(sp?) who posts all the long range Middle Grounds overnighter trips had posted several were caught on different trips via hook and line.

I would imagine a trigger rig would catch them if something else didn't get to it first.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They are not docile when feeding. They are pretty aggressive when they see the little fish they want to eat, but they generally only eat live, small stuff. Never heard of one caught on hook and line here. I think it is not that common for people to drop 1 inch long live baits in 60 feet of water. I expect that if you were to drop a small live bait on the right reef it would happen if something else did not beat you to the little bait.
- Fisherdad1
Makes sense!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts