Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Wow. Nice one. Get those suckers! Weird doesn't even look like the gaff point is in the fish

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Herd they're great eaters, but hard to clean with iron gloves. Nasty spines!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've eat them. He said they cut off the spines than filet them. Their good.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
i have never caught one and i really want to try to clean and cook one. i've caught scorpion fish and those damn things are like lobster when you broil it yuuuummm. easy to clean if you watch those spines.
jack

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hook and Line or spearing? I have a team that has participated the last 4 years in the spring Lionfish tournament. They measure to the mm in the tournament and the last two years the largest fish was 437 mm or almost 17.25". I'd be interested to know where he caught it since there is likely dozens more in the same spot. IMO, they make the best fish tacos you'll ever eat. The best way to filet them is with an electric knife and a tough glove, no need to remove the spines.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I’ve heard the best way to target them with rod and reel is deep wrecks to concentrate them
together and small live baits. They’re ambush predators so you need to put the bait right in front of their face. They aren’t gonna chase anything down. I drop a go pro to the bottom
from time to time and have seen some big ones at the edge, but it’s kinda hard to tell when their fins are so spread out. Kill em all!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I personally wouldn't waste time trying to target them, especially around wrecks or artificial structure. Live bottom you're more likely going to get a hit but as you said, you literally would need to drop it in their face. This video is from our tournament team this spring and you can see how close they hold to structure.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Are the lion fish still as thick on reefs as they were a few years ago?
I can’t speak for a few years ago but we seem to find them on every dive. The most on a spot I’ve seen has probably been a couple dozen. I understand years ago, there were 10x the lion fish.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Are the lion fish still as thick on reefs as they were a few years ago?
The bigger wrecks that get dove a lot stay pretty clean. It's the pyramids, coops and other random structure where we see most. With new new bridge rubble, time will tell how infiltrated that will be. It's such a large area I expect the population to increase there as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts