Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a sustain 4000 and they put 12 lb Ande on it for free when I bought it. The Ande is holding memory real bad. What type line holds the least memory ?? I have all my other inshore stuff spool with sufix and trilene but was going to get some opinions before I bought another big spool of line.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
All mono has memory, But suffix seams to have lower memory. Sports Academy has line called P-Line that I have had good luck with (very strong, low memory) Its kinda pricey. Ande line seems to have high memory. IMHO.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I use ande back country it has low memory and casts alot farther than sufix lines. Remember when the fish is taking drag don't wind, or all you are doing is twisting the line worse.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember when the fish is taking drag don't wind, or all you are doing is twisting the line worse.

I never do that..... I have only wet the line once since I have had it. I took it with me on a test run after making some adjustments on the boat. I had a DOA shrimp tied on and only made a couple of cast with no fish caught. I was looking at it last night and noticed all the memory the line was holding.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Ande makes good line but holds incredible memory. Try ande back country and that should solve your problem.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If the line is fairly new (which it sounds like since you just bought it) It could have been spooled on the reel wrong. I worked in a tackle store for a few years and know that there are wright and wrong ways to spool reels using a machine. If it is spooled wrong you could get alot of twists that could seem like memory. Just a thought, easiest way correct is to drag the line behind a boat for a little while with absolutely nothing on it and rewind tight on the spool. this usually helps. There are alot of times that a little line memory is good. If you have ever had a new spool on a spinning rod to open the bail and the line sortof backlash everywhere you know what I am talking aboout.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
We had Ande on one of our spinners and it twisted BAD... it was so bad we took the entire spool of it off and threw it away. We went with Suffix. Also, a tip we learned awhile back is to use a bounty dryer sheet and rub the line in it...its supposed to get rid of the memory... in the Ande case, it didn't work. :(

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Most of the problem is due to the nature of the beast "spinning reels". As was stated before do not crank while fish is taking line out. West Coast will not use spinning due to twisting.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_lblFullMessage>From L.D.D. ---- if you dont rinse your 12lb u wont be able to cast a doa, its not heavy enough

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_lblPostSignature>

When I said I had only wet the line once I meant that I had only used it once.....I didn't notice a problem casting the DOA, It's just that my line looks like a stretched out slinky.

Can't get theQuote optionto work...

·
Registered
104 Posts
A majority of twisting problems occurwhen you put the line on the reel. Here's a few tips:

1. <U>Prep the Line</U>: Place the spool in hot water (a little hotter than tap water). Let soak for a few minutes

2. <U>Spinning Reels</U>: The label should be facing up. Some spool labels are placed incorrectly and that's why the next step is important.

3. <U>Spinning Reels cont.:</U> With the spool still in the water, it should be layingflat.Make sure the spool does not spin by placing something on top of the spool or just remove some water. Start reeling in slowly. Watch your rod tip. If you see that the line is twisting,turn the spool over. Eventually, you will figure out which side is correct although the label up is usually the correct side. Occasionally, if you see twisting, flip the spool over for a few reels until the line straightens out. Repeat as necessary until your spooling is complete.

4. <U>Casting Reels</U>: Use the pencil through the spool technique with the line coming off the top of the spool. Again, the line should be in the warm water.

The reason that this works is that your taking line that is essentially plastic and has moulded itself to a small diameter spool. Heating the line removes the old memory and allows the line to adapt to the new diameter spool. Heating the line does not compromise the integrity of the line.For braids, do the same thing without water. For line twist after application, someone mentioned peeling the line off while the boat is in motion. Excellent! To prevent line twist, never reel while a fish is pulling line.

I have not had any line twisting problems since I've been using this method.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
""""<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>I got a sustain 4000 and they put 12 lb Ande on it for free when I bought it. The Ande is holding memory real bad. What type line holds the least memory ?? I have all my other inshore stuff spool with sufix and trilene but was going to get some opinions before I bought another big spool of line."""""

Jole...why can't you just face the facts.....It's Murphyslaw....:doh

All kidding aside...all good responses..the hot water is new to me, I'm going to try that next time I re-spool</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Super Moderator
12,800 Posts
sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdownsufix sufix sufix sufix sufix sufix :bowdown

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most of the spinning reels I sell I install Yo-Zuri Hybrid. Very low memory plus it has a blend of flurocarbon. Not all Suffix lines are the same, try the Seige as suggested, the others have more abrasion resistance added which imparts more memory.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Funny you bring this up. I usually spool myself, but recently took a med and large spoon into GBBT. I told the guy I only wanted 3/4 full and he looked at me like a dumbass.He put the regularline on- cheaper Ande I guess, 12# and 20#. Both lines seemedtwisted from the first cast. I even made the comment to my buddies that maybe he had the feed spool backward. I'm kinda pissed. needless to say, I'm doing it myself again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Put braid on that reel. NO memory and will last several years depending on how much you fish. I use braid and tie on afloro leader, I feel the bite beter and am much happier ith the braid

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl7_lblFullMessage>If the line is fairly new (which it sounds like since you just bought it) It could have been spooled on the reel wrong.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think you are right. After looking at it closer today,It was more twist than memory. I let all the line out while running the boat like you said. It helped but it still ant the best. Looks like it's going to be getting braid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts