Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a BG 5000 earlier this year and haven't spooled it yet. I intend to use it for ARS, black snapper and mingos. I've got heavier rigs, but thought this might be a good mid-weight rig to use.

It is on a Ugly Stik Tiger Elite - Medium 10-25 pound rod.

I'm thinking it would be good for using as a knocker rig. I might possibly use it for free-lining a cigar minnow, though I do have other rigs that could be better suited for that if I need to go heavier.

What kind and size line would you spool this rig with?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a BG 4500 with 20# braid. Maybe 30-40# on that 5000. They are designed specifically to work with braid. Those new BGs are awesome reels btw. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I bought it and a 2500. I intended to use the 2500 for sheepshead in the spring but I was too busy rebuilding a pole barn/workshop.

I'm looking forward to using it. I bought it because I've heard so many people talking about what a good reel it is.

·
Wolfgang
257 Posts
Just curious, what size does the 2500 compare to?
For instance, is it much smaller than the Penn 4500ss? I want to get another BG for my 6'7" rod.
I'm tired of the Penn bail slamming shut on attempted long casts. :mad:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Stradic 2000 and the BG 2500 isn't much larger than it. It is definitely smaller than the Penn 4500.

I had tried to buy the BG 3000 because it has more drag, but Amazon didn't have it, so I got the 2500.

I've read that the BG's tend to run a bit larger than other reels, so the 3000 might be closer to the Penn 4500.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm pretty sure I put 40lb super 8 slick on mine. Hooked something yesterday jigging with it that was pulling line off with ease even the the drag was locked down. Broke my 50lb leader. Love the reel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a BG 5000 earlier this year and haven't spooled it yet. I intend to use it for ARS, black snapper and mingos. I've got heavier rigs, but thought this might be a good mid-weight rig to use.

It is on a Ugly Stik Tiger Elite - Medium 10-25 pound rod.

I'm thinking it would be good for using as a knocker rig. I might possibly use it for free-lining a cigar minnow, though I do have other rigs that could be better suited for that if I need to go heavier.

What kind and size line would you spool this rig with?
According to Daiwa. The 5000 has 22lbs of drag. I like to put line slightly bigger than locked down drag so i dont have to worry about it snapping if i want to put some pressure on a fish to bring em up. Personally I'd put 30-40# Super slick on there.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Just curious, what size does the 2500 compare to?

For instance, is it much smaller than the Penn 4500ss? I want to get another BG for my 6'7" rod.

I'm tired of the Penn bail slamming shut on attempted long casts. :mad:
Send it to our resident real repair man.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts