Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ive read many posts and articles on kayak color. Here is what I've seen:
Bright colors for visibility safety
Bright colors dont matter, they wont see you anyway. Be mindful of the boats.
Red is the first not to be seen st night
Use a bright paddle and any color kayak you like
Camo colors are good, practice caution in paddling
Blue attracts mosquitoes
Sand and neutral are easy on the eyes
Sand and neutral are hard to see
Dark colors are too hot in the gulf sun
The difference in color with regards to the sun is negligible

Pretty much find any opinion out there. Im ready to pull the trigger on lime green. Im thinking safety. Its bright. First kayak will be a small light sit in. Mostly paddling in the bay, back waters, estuaries, and fishing. If kayaking becomes a passion, ill look get a 2nd kayak for dedicated fishing . Now my question. There are some nice muted blues and greens mixed with black and white in a camo pattern. Working on bait and tying knots while staring at a background of bright lime green sounds like it would get old fast. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mango is my color

I chose a mango yellow for visibility, but any bright color should work. Accented with reflective tape.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
The forest green ones about get hit coming out of the passes and then they get mad. But they blend so close to the water color, it's so dangerous

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Knot tying is an issue in a lime green yak??

I can't imagine spending more than a minute or two to tie any knot besides a Bimini which I almost never use anyway. 90% of my rigging is done at home anyhow.

I've been paddling a lime Green Mini-X for a while now and have no problems with it other than not using it enough in the past year.

Re: Rigging. I tie a length of 30-80# mono to my braid (generally 10-20# Spiderwire Fusion) using the FG Knot. I add a 50# snap and don't worry about it for several trips unless I catch several large Snook or Tarpon in a row. I check for abrasion everytime I change lures and re-tie the snap as needed.

I seldom have to use wire because I do not target toothy fish as a rule.

I usually have at least 2 rods aboard so I seldom have to tie on another leader in the course of a day. I almost never loose a lure because my knots are done right. Yeah, this time of year when fishing jigs I lose some but when fishing jigs I use straight 8# mono with a short bite leader.

Learn to tie the FG Knot and you will never tie another braid to leader knot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Feelfree lure 13.5 has a lime green camo color. I went with winter camo. I love it so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is sweet. Im looking at the wilderness aspire 105 and their camo colors are too dark. If I get a2nd yak dedicated to fishing ill need to look atvthe lure

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is an awesome color combo! Its a big yak too. If it were all bight lime, it might be to much on the eyes. Time for me to shut up and just buy one. When I pull the trigger I'll go with the gut.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
She's definitely a big girl. I will say that my old OK I had was canary yellow, and on bright days offshore it'd kill your eyes. Don't think green would be nearly as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Also, just looked up the aspire. No way I would get a sit inside in FL, especially if you're gonna be offshore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no intentions of going off shore. I would be the fat guy waving a paddle while those on shore wave back and the currents drag me into the gulf. Back bays and estuaries for me. If I truly use this little yak frequently, I might grow into something larger and venture out further in the bay. Time will tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts