Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to admit it. I've started letting a lot more bucks walk away here lately on public land. Had an encounter this morning in Blackwater with a two year old wide four point. Picked up my bow multiple of times when he was with in twenty yards feeding on acorns. Thought hard about it and decided to let him walk, knowing what's in the area from previous hunts. Figure the only way they will get bigger is by getting older. Also figuring in my mind how many other hunters in the area using the "if its brown its down" theory. Almost like a coin toss on public land though but hopes he makes it through the season along with many others to become a mature full racked buck.

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
"if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change"
"Man in the mirror"
Michael Jackson, 1988

·
Bearded Brotula
14,143 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
It is a good you let it walk.......but I guarantee some idiot will pop it by the end of the season. Hard to get quality deer on public land when some people blast everything they see.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It is a good you let it walk.......but I guarantee some idiot will pop it by the end of the season. Hard to get quality deer on public land when some people blast everything they see.
Some idiot? really how is any man an idiot for shooting a LEGAL buck on public land?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It doesn't make them an idiot for shooting it. It is a legal deer. Nothing wrong with the next guy down the road shooting him. Personal standards seems to be something we have forgotten about as hunters. Why is it such a competition? Why do we beat people up who do it differently than we do? If I let a deer walk that does not meet my standards and you shoot him, I will be the first to say "good deer" after I help track, drag and skin. Let's start calling poachers, trespassers and night hunters (illegal night hunters) idiots.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you decide to take it then it for sure does not make it next season. I believe you made a dang good call. Just don't let anyone know where you hung that stand. If he makes it til next year then he becomes a much better trophy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't wait for the 3 on one side rule.

That will be the day! I don't understand why it is not into effect now. At least give the deer a fair chance to become something. The state of Florida management system for public land is totally wack! Antler with at least five inches on one side. Really? Not much thought was put into their part for deer management, on management areas but again that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
That will be the day! I don't understand why it is not into effect now. At least give the deer a fair chance to become something. The state of Florida management system for public land is totally wack! Antler with at least five inches on one side. Really? Not much thought was put into their part for deer management, on management areas but again that's just my opinion.
I think thats a fact

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
I'll be the idiot who shoots him....send him my way. Better yet, I'll let my son shoot him. He would be a trophy for a 9 year old. Good on you for letting him walk...but ease up on the idiot part. Not cool.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yep, I'm a big ole idiot too cause I would have let the air out of him and been eating tender loins for dinner.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,663 Posts
Population control, just like shooting them at night in a field. The powers that be does not want deer hanging out in the Walmart parking lot, once again it is a balance to keep them out of roadways and control migration, or "overflow".
They could give a rats ass if the bucks grow up, or if you kill a trophy. Me personally I wish they did care and had a doe only season for about two years. It would suck, but with sacrifice their is reward. Just my 02

·
Super Moderator
29,543 Posts
I'd like to see tighter regs. on deer in Florida but unfortunately don't think it'll ever happen. At my place Logan is restricted to 6 or better (he shot a 5 point 2 years ago). That killed him when he saw that monster 4 I posted a while back. But I told him that 4 was a exception due to it being a wall hanger fer him...During archery, he has a green light on anything though since he's never killed a deer w/ his bow.

·
Who we talkin' about?
276 Posts
Population control, just like shooting them at night in a field. The powers that be does not want deer hanging out in the Walmart parking lot, once again it is a balance to keep them out of roadways and control migration, or "overflow".
They could give a rats ass if the bucks grow up, or if you kill a trophy. Me personally I wish they did care and had a doe only season for about two years. It would suck, but with sacrifice their is reward. Just my 02
I'd agree with this except for one point. If population control was behind the lack of point restriction we'd have doe days during gun season. You gotta admit, if there are too many deer on public land (?) they ain't bucks!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Have to admit it. I've started letting a lot more bucks walk away here lately on public land. Had an encounter this morning in Blackwater with a two year old wide four point. Picked up my bow multiple of times when he was with in twenty yards feeding on acorns. Thought hard about it and decided to let him walk, knowing what's in the area from previous hunts. Figure the only way they will get bigger is by getting older. Also figuring in my mind how many other hunters in the area using the "if its brown its down" theory. Almost like a coin toss on public land though but hopes he makes it through the season along with many others to become a mature full racked buck.
Good for you! I don't judge any legal taking of deer but for me it's a great feeling to let young ones walk!

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Letting them walk aint a bad thing. Over the last two years we have let a bunch walk. Usuallyfill the freezer at the beginning of gun season then start giving the free pass.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts