Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing the flats yesterday and almost got tipped by a shark that grabbed a nice redfish I had on my stringer. In the back of my mind I knew a stringer wasn't a good idea, but I've been doing it for a while with no problems...until yesterday! Guess I'm done with stringers. Do most of you just use coolers? How about fish bags? I have never used them and don't know if there would be any advantage over a cooler so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,555 Posts
Yep, you just learned why stringers on a yak are a very bad idea.
Cooler or fish bag, both are good to go.

·
Enjoying Gods Creation
1,262 Posts
Never had a shark tag along but did find myself sharing my stringer of bream with a cottonmouth once while wade fishing one time! Heck of a surprise when I looked back....lol. Like you said...... lesson learned!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always been partial to the Seattle Sports kayak bags. http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=69&idproduct=696

Depending on the wind/water temps, sometimes I just use the liner bag and then either secure it on the deck, or I just stow the bag in one of the cargo hatches on my Malibu. If it was mid-day during the summer, I'd probably use the actual liner bag and the outer cooler shell on the bow, to help keep the heat down. It's great to have an outer shell that secures to the kayak by design, and a bag you can take out and use independently, based on what you're hauling.

I've never been a fan of paddling with fish hanging over the side, if for no other reason than feeling like I'm dragging a drift anchor. Pretty happy I haven't had any shark encounters!

V/r,
Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to check out some of the bags, but since I have plenty of room on my PA I will probably just go with a cooler. (I know, should have done that from the start...)

·
Super Moderator
28,115 Posts
Next time at least have a hook in it so you can take a sleigh ride!!! Glad you turned out OK!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He gave me a little ride before biting the fish in half...long enough for me to be scrambling for a knife to cut the stringer!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Never had a shark tag along but did find myself sharing my stringer of bream with a cottonmouth once while wade fishing one time! Heck of a surprise when I looked back....lol. Like you said...... lesson learned!
I don't think I would be around to tell this story Mike hahahahahaha :no::whistling: Wow! and wade fishing too. WOW!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts